Discussion of 32 H&R The Cartridge - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Default Discussion of 32 H&R The Cartridge

I've been the happy owner of several NEF R73's and a Taurus M327 that I also really enjoy. I shoot mostly 32 Long Wadcutters out of them than anything else. Was this Cartridge ever adopted by law enforcement in the 80's or 90's before semi autos took over the universe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Handi's
357 Magnum
30/06
45/410 Survivor
20 Gauge Tracker II
R73 32 H&R Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 AM

No.

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper...one of my favorites.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Not to the best of my knowledge.

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper...one of my favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Once upon a time many police officers in this country carried 32's and European police were almost exclusively 32's, back when they actually were allowed to carry guns.
Walt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM

I think NYC police carried some 32 long revolvers back in the early 1900s. But the 38 special was the accepted normal police issue revolver before the auto craze hit. 38 special then gave way to 357mag in some departments.

The 32 H&R mag is relative New on the scene. And while some Leo may have carried one for backup I don't think it was ever a issue weapon.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Last edited by pastorp; 07-14-2017 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM

You said you wanted to discuss the cartridge. But nobody really has to this point. To me the 32 H&R mag and the following 327 federal cartridge are great small game hunting cartridges. The old 32/20 pistol round can be almost duplicated by the 32 H&R mag round and the 327 federal will just about duplicate the old 32/20 rifle load.

I really love both in a revolver.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:29 PM

I concur.

.32 has become my darling, in all its flavors. .32 long, .32 longer (H&R), and .32 longest (Fed Mag). It occurred to me this began with .32 (5) WSM, and makes me further realize I want a .32 special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I think NYC police carried some 32 long revolvers back in the early 1900s.
...as directed by then NYC Police Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt.
As for the .32 H&R Mag, I've always wondered why it has never been offered with a heavier bullet?
85-90 gr. is all I've ever seen it loaded with, but I've always thought of the mag as a modern interpretation of the .32-20 and it came loaded with a 115 grainer.
...maybe a lead SWC with a MV of around 900 fps?
I guess this one will end up being a handloaders special...and that's ok.

DCman
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
You said you wanted to discuss the cartridge. But nobody really has to this point. To me the 32 H&R mag and the following 327 federal cartridge are great small game hunting cartridges...
I agree, and I love the cartridge in my revolvers.

I reload and shoot 32 Shorts, 32 Longs and the H&R Magnum.

As much as I love my H&R Sportsman and near-mint USRA single-shot pistol, as well as the other 5 or 6 long-barreled H&R top-breaks that I have in my collection (22's, 32's and 38 S&W's)...

This is what I think helped doom the 32 H&R Magnum from being a more popular round...

Putting "H&R" in the name.

There, I said it...

I do think there's an element of that in the poor adoption and low popularity of the round.

We already had the "32 Short" and "32 Long" (as well as the older "Colt" variations on both), and to me -- they should have just called it the "32 Magnum" with no company affiliation noted at all.

Let's be honest here... Older H&R revolvers, with a possible exception of the very nice later model 999 Sportsman's (which even the most ardent S&W snobs would not pay any attention to...) just didn't garner a great reputation for strength, quality or accuracy. Therefore, I'm thinking that having "H&R" in the name really didn't help generate any extra following, and probably turned off quite a few shooters from even trying it.

True -- as those who do load and shoot it have found out, with myself included -- the 32 H&R Magnum is a terrific round for hunting and plinking, and after doing some bullet tests into water jugs with my S&W Models 631 or 16 (note that I'm not shooting the H&R Mag in any H&R's...) -- it is very effective at self defense. I know I wouldn't want to get shot with it!!!

I do love my collection of older H&R Top Breaks, all the way from the early 1900's, up to one of the last nice Sportsman made, but as noted above...

When I shoot the "32 H&R Magnum" -- it's done in my Smith & Wesson "32 Magnum" revolvers.

I'm sure this reply might generate some discussion, but that's what the original poster wanted, right?!

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." 2000 DTH

Last edited by Old No7; 07-28-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page