H&R Ultra 300 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Default H&R Ultra 300

I have only ever seen one. Found it used in a sport good dept in a store in Brighton, Colo. It was built on a Sako L61 action and one beautiful rifle. Never seen another H&R bolt action rifle. Bad thing about mine is it was stolen while I was away from home. No doubt in my mind who did it but couldn't prove it. The wife did collect insurance on it but nothing like it was worth. Insurance co told her that H&R didn't make rifles in that action.

Beautiful rifle and good shooter but it's the only one I'd ever seen or heard about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

There are several threads on them, here's one of the recent threads, unfortunately Photobucket ruined the pics.

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/114-mis...ml#post1640483

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

That's interesting. But some are claiming the action is actually a Mauser action. Wrong. Mine had clearly on the side of it, "Sako L61". It was beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

According to Goforth's book, H&R imported the actions and built the rifles in house, barrels were Douglas, action depends on when it was made, 1965-72 the actions were supplied by FN in Belgium, 1973-77 Sako from Finland, and 1978-83 they were Mark X actions by Zaslava in Yugoslavia. Original price of the Ultra 300 was $225 in 1968, up to $375 in 1980/81.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:36 PM

I once owned an H&R 340 that I have regretted selling since the day it left the gun safe. It was a bolt action, built on a Mauser 98 (probably Interarms Mark X) and had a beautiful straight combed, classic stock with contrasting wood fore end tip. An absolutely BEAUTIFUL, slim and lightweight hunting rifle in 30-06. It had a Redfield 1 piece base with Redfield rings and a 1980s vintage Redfield 2-7X scope. Sold it to help pay for graduate school. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have that rifle back. I'm constantly looking for another on the internet auction sites, but have only found one. It was sold the day it was listed. H&R sold wonderful bolt action rifles back in the day, whether they were on Mauser actions or Sako actions. I wish they weren't so scarce. People who have them probably know what a gem they have and don't want to give them up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page