Graybeard Outdoors banner

My 1st Safe Queen: H&R Sportsman "1 of 999"

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Old No7 
#1 · (Edited)
Yeah, the timing of this really stinks, I'll admit...

It's really not the time or the economic environment to be adding a gun to my collection that I'll never shoot or dry fire, but the purchase of it was started well before the news got as bad as it is now. And I also acquired it for several hundred bucks less than the last three I've seen sold went for, so when I put in a low bid, I really didn't expect to win it -- but hey, I did! Lucky me.

So here we have an Engraved "1 of 999" H&R Model 999 Sportsman in a wooden case with a commemorative coin. I've bought several "New in Box" 999s before, and each show a slight impression of a brass case and the star extractor on the recoil shield, after they were fired/function tested by the factory -- but this one shows nothing at all. Oh sure, I have lifted the latch to open it up -- but I always lift the latch when closing it too (which is a good practice to follow on H&R top-breaks). I've not cycled the trigger or cylinder at all, so there's no turn mark on the cylinder or anything for wear on this pretty piece.

Oh well, she'll sit in a case (wrapped in a treated rag, actually) for a bunch of years, and will be pulled out once in awhile to admire or for show, but she complements the other H&R Sportsman models that I have.

Now that I'm not out on the road 2-3 days a week, maybe I'll have to update my old "3 Sportsmen Walk Into a Gun Shop..." posting and put them all into one image.

Tight groups.

Old No7

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Gorgeous! Do you know when it was made?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.