Wifi amplifiers. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Wifi amplifiers.

I would think were only as good as what your server is only able to do. All an amplifier is going to do is to boost
an already weak signal on your end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

Not exactly. WiFi signal isn't like analog radio - if you have a usable signal, everything needed to exted it is present, no loss of information. These devices can extend the range not by boosting the signal per se, but rather by producing their own signal. You place them near the edge of reliable signal from your existing WiFi router and connect them to the WiFi router. When you do that, they provide additional coverage beyond the point that your existing router signal gets too weak.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Think of it as a repeater rather than a amp. You can use them to skirt environmental obstacles that block or impede LOS transmission.

I tend to not use signal extenders in my network design if you do not have too. They can be used in certain circumstances to good effect. But they are not a substitute for fixing an originating devices signal strength degrading due to antiquated or poor specs due to equipment age, or interference caused by congestion. Typically in a home or small office situation you are better off getting a new wi-fi router or AP to take advantage of the advances built in to to the newer devices, both in infrastructure and on the client side. That is my opinion at least based on my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:08 PM

Mine works well in upstairs BR. Router is downstairs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8uck5nort View Post
Typically in a home or small office situation you are better off getting a new wi-fi router or AP to take advantage of the advances built in to to the newer devices, both in infrastructure and on the client side.
Our situation was that we had good coverage throughout the house, and had a newer router, but signal on the patio across the yard was weak and unstable. Putting an extender in the room nearest the patio solved it.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Gun Cabinet

i use a lafalink booster
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAFALINK-LF...-/161665507448
you can plug it into a laptop usb port sit in a car truck put it on top of the mirror hood and reach across the street to pickup wifi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page