WARNING!! Possible SCAM???? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Default WARNING!! Possible SCAM????

I received what appeared to be a legitimate email today from [email protected] saying I would be receiving a free Raptor Claw Karambit Knife. "just click here and enter the your mailing address where to send it." See attached pic.

I believe it to be a scam, since I found nothing on this site related to this free promotion. Anyone else get something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knife email.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	243476  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 03:40 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

No I always get left out of freebies..... Don't trust it!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 PM
WLB

I got that same email but just deleted it with the rest of the spam. Figured it was bait for some event that I wouldn't like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

That's one of the caveats of posting your email on a public site!

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/67-gen...tml#post786824

https://askleo.com/why_shouldnt_i_po..._public_forum/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:41 PM

I don't believe I have posted my email here or other forum and also got the same email. I also got that same email from two other outdoor forums that I read.
The mail came from GraybeardOutdoors.com <[email protected]>
The address makes it look like it came from these websites by adding the "blast." in front of the website.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 PM

I got the same email except it was from Rimfire Central. Don't know if it is a scam or not but I have never replied. Always leary of anything that sounds too good to be true.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I have not gotten it but it is likely from GBO, more or less, anyway.

It is one of the ways the current owners make money on this site. Dunno if it's them selling e-mail addresses or if it's them sending stuff out for advertisers themselves. You can opt out of getting the e-mails from any one of them you get. I think I did that way back which is likely why I didn't get the one you guys are talking about.

However I do get that same e-mail often, just not from GBO. It's a common thing someone is sending out. They call it free, just want you to pay the shipping to get it to you. Shipping cost is the real cost and covers both their actual shipping of it to you and their profit. I've never actually looked to see how much the "shipping" is to get it to me as I don't want it.

Only scam in it that I see is they get your credit card info for the "shipping cost". Since I've never taken them up on the offer I don't know if they would make additional charges or not.

But any of the e-mails you get from GBO you can click a link and opt out of future e-mail. Clicking it won't do anything nasty to your computer and they really will stop sending them to you. It's all in the Terms of Use you agree to when signing up on a site like this.

Back when me and Matt owned the site we didn't do stuff like this, these days pretty much all site owners do such things.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 03:24 AM

I got the same email offering the same knife from three different outdoor/gun sites that I belong to, not the first time it's happened.
I just send it to the Junk folder and don't think about it again, I figure eventually it'll automatically be sent to junk if I do this enough times.

"People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page