25-06 Sendero - Tight Chamber - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Default 25-06 Sendero - Tight Chamber

I just picked up my new Sendero in 25-06 yesterday and started playing around with it. I actually loaded up some rounds for it prior to receiving it with 3 different bullets - Nosler BT 115, Berger Hunting VLD 115 and some Barnes TTSX 100's. Kept them near or a touch over SAAMI lengths and middle of the road charges just to get started.

Got the gun cleaned and threw in a VLD and bolt would not close, tried a Nosler and Barnes with same result. Threw in a empty new case (Nosler) and bolt would close, but very tight. After smoking a case I found that the shoulder touches the chamber with zero headspace when bolt is closed. After smoking some loaded rounds, I found that all of the bullets loaded to SAAMI enter the rifling any where from .020-.050 depending on bullet.

Anyone else ever had this happen with a stock gun? Is this typical with Sendero's? I don't think that it should be an issue, although the bullets are seated fairly deep. I will likely be touching the lands with VLD's anyway and maybe others as I play with the thing...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

When you close the bolt are your bullets cramming into the rifling any getting stuck in the rifling or being pushed into the case? When you smoked the case did the smoke come off when you cycled the round I would get on the phone with Remington Did you buy the rifle new? you say the empty cases were extremely hard to cycle is this new brass or brass that has been fired in another gun If it was fired in another rifle try FL sizing it and see if it still happens I had a Remington once that I had to start with new brass and once it was fired in that rifle I would FL resize it and it cycled fine Hope you figure it out Lou

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

All new components, as this is my first quarter bore, so it was new Nosler brass. When the bolt is closed the bullets are going into the rifling, I can see six distinct evenly spaced marks on the smoked bullet. One bullet actually seated deeper into the case after removing round. I did not measure all of them that I cycled. None of them stuck in the bore. Rifle was purchased new from Bud's.

I wouldn't say the bolt closed extremely hard, but definitely tight fit. I would compare it to when I neck size only without bumping the shoulders. As I said, after smoking the brass it showed contact at the shoulders when cycling empty round.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I bought some factory Hornady Interlocks 117's (cheapest I could find) today just for the **** of it. They fit the same as my loads, they are .100" shorter than SAAMI so are not touching the lands but take same effort to close the bolt. I'm going to let it ride and see how she does with the factory loads and move on from there. Also lapped the rings and put the scope on today, so ready to rock. Hopefully Wednesday will be debut...

Buckskin

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:54 PM

Whenever I buy bulk new brass, I resize it before the first loading. A few years ago I bought a hundred 300WSM cases from Winchester. One of the cases was obviously distorted. The head stamp was 243WSM. I sent it back to Winchester and never got a response. I wonder if they outsource brass at times.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I measured the brass, it was good to go, it is definitely the chamber that is tight.

I got it out yesterday for the maiden voyage to break in the barrel and it went pretty well. My scope mounting was right there as well 3 high 2 left at 50 yards... Started with the factory stuff shot 3 then cleaned, 3 then cleaned, 5 then cleaned. I did not notice any copper/blue on any patches during any of the cleanings so I figured good to go. A lot of carbon though, Man those factory hornady Interlocks are dirty!!!
Gritty too, I've never seen anything like it. Also had one bad round, not sure if it was low powder or what, sounded like a muzzleloader going off, like a hang fire. Bullet hit 6 " low... Not impressed with those. Did have a 5 round .554" group with them though, not bad for first day. Today will try out some hand loads.

Trigger sucks, needs a Timney 512 for sure...

Buckskin

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

I still would contact Remington and advise them of the problem and see what they say I have owned Remington rifles all my life and this is the first time I have heard of this. For years they have been great rifles right out of the box

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to let it go, I've been shooting it the last couple days and it's coming around pretty good. I measured the full chamber today and it measures .015 longer than SAAM recommended trim to length, so I think I'm good to go. Just tight at shoulders and short throat, which should give me a little more life in barrel. I've played around with a few bullets (Nosler 115 BT and Berger 115 VLD) had less than desirable accuracy using Retumbo, especially with the Berger's. Heard guys were having great luck with IMR 4350, so loaded up 5 of each with that. Pic below shows results. Point of impact between the bullets is crazy, I knew this from yesterday so shot at left bull for both sets of bullets. Nosler on left (.810') Berger on right (1.105). Not too bad for less than 50 rounds down the pipe. (foulers far left)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170123_142455.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	829.0 KB
ID:	150273  

Buckskin

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:27 PM

HI Buckskin,
FYI I loaded 51g IMR4350 with the 115 Berger VLD hunting bullet. 3.26 OAL. very nice accuracy with my friends custom 1903 Springfield medium weight barrel. He is very happy with this 25.06 it is now his favorite deer rifle.

Bull
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

I've played around with this rifle a lot since getting it. I'd have to check, but I'm right around that 51gr with the VLD's, very tight groups with them. My hunting bullet is the 110 Accubond, which are just as accurate as the Bergers. I don't like the idea of using Bergers for deer hunting due to them sending hundreds of lead pieces throughout the animal. They are a great bullet and all of my rifles shoot them well, but not into freezer meat...

Buckskin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page