Model 12C date of manufacture - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Default Model 12C date of manufacture

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the age of this newly acquired pump 22? This was my great grandfatherís gun & just last night it was given to me by my father. I think the last time I shot it was some 30yrs ago when I was a kid. I spent some time cleaning it last night & I hope to take it to the range tomorrow. Iíve read that I should avoid High Velocity rounds. Thoughts?
Anyway, searching the web regarding the age has made this a lil more confusing. There are no prefix letters in the serial number (serial#196330) and I BELIEVE itís a 12C, 24Ē octagon barrel with basic walnut stock.
Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Can't give you an exact age but most definitely avoid using HV ammo in it. Neat guns.
GuzziJohn
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, I probably should have called Reminton first, but thought of that after I made the post Anyway, the ďRWĒ stamped above the serial number (& quite a bit above) is, in fact, part of the serial number. Anyway, this ol thang was manufactured in 1913. Pretty cool little piece of history. And yes, I WILL be avoiding HV rounds

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

If anyone is interested, I took the gun to the range the other morning & shot 20 rounds through it; 10 rds of CCI 22LR Quiet & 10 rds of CCI 22 Short. All hit the target with relatively poor accuracy at 25 yds with one or two missing paper completely. I cleaned the barrel with some heavy-duty bore cleaner (canít think of the name) but it looks like the bore still needs some work. Not sure if itís beyond saving because that bore looks pretty knarley. There doesnít appear to be any pitting but it looks almost like itís scarred; I donít know, Iíve never seen a bore look like that. Who knows when the last time it was cleaned before I did it. Anyway, pretty cool to get it out. I hope to take a couple squirrels with it soon just to say that I did.

I took it apart again early this evening to wipe an extra oil off & after removing the wooden forearm, I noticed several stamps on the underside of the receiver. Theyíre random letters & they arenít even organized; some are upside down, some are right next to each other. Know what this could be from?

Alright, thanks again. Happy shooting!

Jason
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Some of the early Mod. 12s were shot with black powder loads, might be part of the barrel problem. I bought a 12C that shot like you are describing and I never could get it to shoot so ended up selling for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. Later bought a !2A that has some feeding problems but is very accurate. Good luck with it.
GuzziJohn
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Model 12C date of manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziJohn1 View Post
Some of the early Mod. 12s were shot with black powder loads, might be part of the barrel problem. I bought a 12C that shot like you are describing and I never could get it to shoot so ended up selling for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. Later bought a !2A that has some feeding problems but is very accurate. Good luck with it.

GuzziJohn

Black powder loads? Interesting! Iíve never heard of that before! So people would load their own 22 caliber rounds for it?
Yeah the barrel looks crazy so I hope I can keep at it & get it cleaned up a little better

Jason
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Don't know how long they were manufactured but black power commercial loads for .22. Otherwise could have also been smokeless but with corrosive priming material would cause the same problems.
GuzziJohn
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM

Location: Moved back east of the Cascades where sanity still exists!

If the barrel is too rough for accurate shooting a gunsmith could install a barrel liner. You could then go after some squirrels with your keepsake rifle.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmoose View Post
If the barrel is too rough for accurate shooting a gunsmith could install a barrel liner. You could then go after some squirrels with your keepsake rifle.
FM

Iíve actually never heard of a barrel liner before. I may have to look into that. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page