Remington Letter - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
Yes, that was my complaint with Remington, they did great damage to Marlin and totally destroyed H&R. A friend of mine did manage to shoot his truck with the faulty Remington safety but he refused to believe it was faulty because he could not make it happen again. He preferred to believe he somehow tripped the trigger with his pinky finger while applying the safety.
I believe that is how most if not all of the safety issues with Remington happened. A lot easier to blame the manufacturer (and profitable) than to admit that they had their finger on the trigger when popping off the safety or that it was never on in the first place. Since in could never seem to be duplicated on an unadjusted trigger it gives me pause...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 12:23 PM

Just because a thing can't be reproduced at will doesn't mean it can't happen. For decades powder makers and reloading experts refused to believe that a reduced charge of slow burning powder could possibly cause a catastrophic pressure surge because they could not reproduce it in the laboratory. They insisted it must be reloading error, that somehow a different powder must have been substituted of it was an excessive charge, not a reduced charge. But eventually this happened so many times where there was no other expatiation possible, where the reloader possessed no other powder and where the cartridge could not hold an excessive charge and after hundreds of reports it finally became generally admitted that a reduced charge of some powders can be dangerous.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:47 PM

Creating a pipe bomb in a chamber is not the same thing as a mechanical failure based on design. I'm not saying the trigger never had an issue, I'm saying most was user error and possibly all of them. If you ever had the original Remington 700 trigger and inspected it you would see that it was of sound engineering, much better than what they replaced it with. The problem with it was that it came at about 7lbs pull, but easily adjusted if you knew what you were doing. I've done several of them and they were as good as a Timney when finished.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Well, Remington, after years of denial did finally acknowledge there "could" be a problem, just like the powder makers after years of denial finally admitted there "could" be a problem. That's all I'm saying. Personally I have my doubts about any "safety" which merely locks the trigger and can still fire if parts slip or break. I have more confidence in safeties like the military Mauser, Krag, or Springfield which block the striker or an exposed hammer which is manually cocked only when you want it cocked.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Last edited by coyotejoe; 01-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:33 PM

I seriously doubt a company like Remington would ever admit there "could" be a problem unless they had credible evidence there was a problem. Just too much money at stake to admit to a possible problem if there wasn't a problem.
Old Today, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I seriously doubt a company like Remington would ever admit there "could" be a problem unless they had credible evidence there was a problem. Just too much money at stake to admit to a possible problem if there wasn't a problem.
I agree. It's almost like they were forced to send the letters. They certainly wouldn't have sent them if they had much of a choice in the matter. I wonder if it was court ordered.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Old Today, 07:19 PM

I see that letter as an acknowledgment that they have released a lot of crap into the market.

R-51(?) how many times did they go to the well trying to get that thing running? Each time with grand exclamations of its newfound reliability, only to be followed by apologies and excuses.

Model 1894 Marlins anyone? At some point they gave up, admitted they were craptastic, and rebuilt the machinery and people responsible. There are well documented problems with the other lever guns as well.

Marlin X-7, lets smother this in its crib, it is far too good to be allowed into the Cerebis family of cheap bolt guns.

Do we dare bring up the 15 minutes of fame for the new AR-15 wonder chambering? Canít even remember it other than it being a 30 caliber. Dropped that in a hot second.

The trigger... itís crap, if it were not they would not be replacing them. End of story.

Quality control, it has suffered, if you donít believe ityouíre deluding yourself. A company does not go **** up and apologize for their past sins for no reason.

They have the product and institutional knowledge to recover from the financial straights they put themselves into. Theyíve not forgotten how to make guns, theyíve neglected quality control in an effort to turn profit. The strategy worked... for a couple years.

The triggers arenít what put Remington in the financial bind they find themselves in. Itís all the blue tarps that have fallen into ruin while the sun was shining on the firearms industry, winter has come and the rains are pouring in. The letter is to let everyone know the roofers are on site.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in