Excalibur Pheonix Pkg. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Default Excalibur Pheonix Pkg.

Just looking for thoughts on this x-bow. I'd like to get into x-bow & x-bow hunting and this seems to be a good starter x-bow. I prefer the recurve style x-bow and this model fits my budget. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to coyote170
Default Re: Excalibur Pheonix Pkg.

You will not be disappointed with the package!Great customer service,easy
to maintain,just a great all around deal!Enjoy.

Happiness: In the woods,with my Rancher,crossbow,and my
dog,headed to the ground blind!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

I am also curious if this set-up would drop a hog or moose let alone a deer? I'll more than likely start with deer, just curious that's all. I should also add, the reason I'm looking at the crossbow is I have a shoulder(left) injury that I've been carrying for the last 10yrs or so. I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to continue?
Would a crossbow be easier on my shoulder or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I too have a bum shoulder actually both need surgery but my right is getting to the point I'm no longer certain it's gonna out last me and I might be forced to have the surgery I keep putting off. So I thought I'd give a cross bow a try since I can no longer pull standard bows.

What I found was I couldn't **** the cross bow either. I was completely unable to pull it by hand even using both hands. So I tried a rope device and was also unable to **** it back with that. I got the crank device for it and was able to **** it with that once but it broke on the second attempt. I was using a Horton so what happened to it is not a reflection on the much better quality unit you are looking at.

When I was younger I was easily able to pull, hold and even release without firing bows of 90-100 pound pull weight. With my arthritis and bum shoulders now I can't even **** a cross bow.

Before you buy I'd recommend you make certain you can pull it back far enough to fully **** and use it. For me that for sure would mean buying one of the crank devices.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
rwk

Hey old man, tough getting old Ha! Graybeard i got the same problems in spades. I like you use a crossbow also with some help- from things i made so i can use it.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM

I have the exocet, only 30 dollars more and 25 fps faster (330 fps w/ 350 gr). I can't say anything bad about it. Used it for two years now to extend the season. I have taken 2 elk and 2 mulies with it, both 1 each year. Longest elk shot was 46 yards. So yes plenty of power for elk hunting. I will give you a link to a good store to buy from they are very good folks. First one I got had a warped limb. Sent it back with no questions, got a new one and the store reimbursed shipping. The warp was from a dent in the box incrued in shipping.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/..._Crossbow.html

On the horton crank I use it on this. I too couldn't work it. I took the handle off. Threaded a nut on and use an 18v cordless drill to **** it. Just for reference it's a ryobi, I know some have more torque than others.

U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Yup growing old is tough but I hear it is better than the alternative.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Not to hijack your thread on the Pheonix, but I would suggest that no matter which bow you buy, get their hand crank device.
You may not need it now, but some day you will. Also it makes for more accurate centering of the string. They are great gadgets, why strain your arms and shoulders more than need be.

After 3 shoulder surgeries I would not be able to shoot mine without the crank.

Graybeard, You are right, a few pains is better than pushing up dirt.

The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 PM

i do believe that the phoenix will harvest any big game in north america. many big moose have been taken with the vixen and its smaller at 150 lbs. i have taken 3 deer this year with mine using 400 gr arrows all pass thru's

Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, I had my 2nd MRI/Arthrogram done yesterday on my shoulder. After a quick talk with my Dr. she told me that there is definately some cartilage & ligament damage that basically NEVER had any time to heal since the 1st reported injury (Sept. 1998). My next appointment is'nt until Feb 10th so then I'll get the results of yesterdays arthrogram and that'll tell me if a cross bow is in my future or none at all including bow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page