Rifle fo crossbow - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Rifle fo crossbow

ive got one too many rifles. Not really. Can't have enough. I do have an older 308 I used as plinking rifle and knew I could get around $450.00 for it. Since I have a torn Rotater cuff I can't draw my Matthews anymore. I was wondering if I could find a good crossbow at that price and something to get me out about 35 yards and light enough to sling and carry on my horse. Any models you would recommend. They have changed a lot since I owned one 20 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Rifle fo crossbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gunshunting
ive got one too many rifles. Not really. Can't have enough. . .
i used to think that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gunshunting
I was wondering if I could find a good crossbow at that price and something to get me out about 35 yards and light enough to sling and carry on my horse.
i'd shoot several first to see what you have a feel for. also, a lot of folks
forget it's still a sideways bow with a stock and they try to make rifle shots
with it. good luck

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm not new to crossbows. Last one I owned was an ex caliber and way too bulky to walk through these mountains with. Real pain to set in a tree stand with. I'm not sure I know a place that will let you try one out. It was fast and although it was dead on at 50 yards I never trusted it at that distance. Also don't want to put $1200.00 into another one. I can hunt deer and turkeys where I keep my horses but only with a bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 07:16 PM

One thing I don't like about crossbows is the balance / handling, compared to a rifle. Most are designed with the limbs mounted forward, making them hard to sling carry, and front heavy.

I would look at a bow with "reverse limbs". They have a more between the hands balance, and I think carry better on a sling. Not sure about a horse scabbard.

I use a Horton, since out of business, and bought by Barnett. They (Barnett) has since introduced a line of reverse limb bows using Horton's technogoly. Cant comment to their quality, as the one Barnett I owned about 5 years ago gave me problems.

50 yards is doable, accuracy wise. The problem is game at that distance has a chance to react to the string twang. Most shots missed at those distances are shots that go over the deer, as they tend to duck when first hearing the twang.

10 Point & Wicked Ridge have excellent reputations in traditional compound cross bows.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Sportsman's Guide sells their Beowulf package for less than $400. It is an accurate and fast crossbow that is well built, too. My friend bought two. One for himself and another for his grandson. I've shot it several times and am impressed with it's quality.

I hunt with an older Ten Point that I bought second hand 8 years ago. Price was quite reasonable; I paid $250.

TR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page