I got some good news and I got some bad news. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default I got some good news and I got some bad news.

Good news is the Horton bow is here and I finally finished putting it together.

The BAD news is I can't pull it back to lock the string in place. No way Jose.

In times past I hunted with an 80-85 pound pull compound bow with no trouble. I've easily pulled and slowed let down bows to over 90 pounds. But now because of my bum shoulders which both need surgery I desperately don't want to let the doctors do I can't use a regular bow.

So I thought his was gonna be the answer. Nothing to hold back. But I can't **** the sucker to worry about not holding it back. Today I ordered one of those string things with the handles on it that is supposed to reduce the effort by 50% so they say. The bow is a Horton in 175 pound pull.

So my questions to you guys are.

Are you able to pull back the string and **** your bows in the 175 pound range without mechanical help? Do the string things work? Will I likely be able to pull the string back with it? Must I get one of the crank things to do this?

Or am I just so far over the hill and weak it's hopeless? Until now I've never seen a bow I couldn't pull back. I sure have now.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 11:49 PM

Default I got some good news and I got some bad new

I hunt with a 185 lb 99 model Excalibur Exo-Mag, I am able to **** it without anything, I have a crank, but never use it. I tried the rope thing, but with only one hand and a prosthetic hook I found the rope thing impossible to use. When I first put the Exo-Mag together I tried several times to **** it and could not do it. I thought I had purchased something that was going to be useless. I finally made up my mind to try one more time to **** the thing. What I found is that you get close then give a snatch and it latches up. I can now **** the thing even in a climbing tree stand. I also have a bad shoulder on my left side, my right arm is the prosthetic hook. I bet you can **** it Gray Beard, just give it the good ole Alabama pull. Think about how much you hate Auburn and go with it man. Book
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
I bet you can **** it Gray Beard, just give it the good ole Alabama pull. Think about how much you hate Auburn and go with it man. Book
I'll try the method you describe when I take it out so I can actually fire an arrow to release it. I wasn't planning to fully pull it to engage the trigger, just wanted to pull it to "almost" that point and wasn't even close. It is a compound bow type and for sure never broke over.

I'm no ball fan of any type. Could care less for the Bama vs. Auburn thing. My Alma Mater is Jacksonville State Univ. and I don't even know if they are still playing ball. Haven't seen a game or listened to one in over 30 years.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 12:56 AM

Bill. The rope thing may work for you but if it was me I would buy a crank I have seen them work and they are effortless. If your shoulders are that bad even the rope will put pressure on your shoulders I would think though I never used one I can pull back my 150# Barnett but then with shooting 16 inch bolts I do not have to pull as far to **** it either. If the rope cocker does not work the crank will for sure. Jim

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 01:35 AM

Bill,
Contact Ten Point Corp.. They make a device they call an Acudraw that they install on their bows. They can, however, be used on other brands of X-bows. It is permanently attached into the sides of the buttstock, so you dont have a "crank thing" to carry around. The only thing that detaches is a small crank handle with a socket head, which can be carried in your pocket.
It also keeps your string centered as it draws.
I use one on mine, and it enables me to continue to bow hunt. :grin:
Hope this helps you solve your problem.
Best,
TnNuc
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 02:27 AM

TnNuc What kind of bow do you have it on? I have to agree with you it is a nice system my buddy has one on his 10 point xbow and it works well. Jim

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 04:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ihuntbucks

GB,I have a Barnett Rhino Mag w/150 # pull and I have no trouble cocking it.They make a type of winch thing (crank,whatever) you can place on end of bow to **** it,but they are very high in price.Tell you what,I'll let you use my Rhino and I'll use your Horton this bow season,if you think you can **** my 150#.................Rick

"Traveling East" F&AM #261 RAM #105 R&SM #69 KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 AM

I used the ACUdraw on my Excal Exocet 175 lb draw, only takes between 5 and 10 lb pressure to crank. Dan Miller of Horizontal Archery did mine.

Digger

Horizontal Archery
37432 Fifth Ave.
Sardis, OH
43946 US
740-483-2312

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDrApgU*sjdkkNRfWQcl8k5YmmVQ0KuE6DFqknKNdzyzZfhs qsiJUmdvunSaRglbOXVCEhPwn0dyRyhNA*wRWvngjl0C9e3pEM UIvM3tNY/HPIM0051.JPG?dc=4675456553757457132[/img]

To learn from your mistakes, first you must realize you made a mistake.
Digger
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 10:53 AM

George I am good from 150 - 175LB on my xbows with the string cocker, however on my 185 and 200lb models I have to use the crank. The ACUdraw is a good way to go if ya have the $$ to get it installed. Excalibur has the crank-a-roo which is a little better on the pocket book but do not think it would work with the horton as the rear of the stocks are different.

Have Excalibur Will Travel
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 11:12 PM

I CAN **** my 200# Exomag without an aid, but only a very few times before my fingers give out. I can however shoot extensive practice rounds with the rope cocker. It works very well, folds up and fits in your pocket, and is a lot faster than a cranking device. The crank takes a lot less grunt though.

QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI-- When all else fails, PLAY DEAD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page