Graybeard Outdoors banner

Trail Cams

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  GaryL 
#1 ·
Put out a 35MM trail cam the other day and so far have 9 pics on it...3 of them be me :-D Adjusted the height a little today DOWN as I think I may have had it a little high.

If I like the results do think I will get a DIGITAL trail cam, as it would keep the cost down I think...would all depend on batteries with the DIGITAL.

#2 ·
Gary, the newer digital cameras are alot easier on batteries than the older ones. I would still suggest when you check your cameras take a few extra batteries along with you. Use brand name alkaline (duracell, eveready or rayovac) or the new metal hidrades that you can recharge.
The better digitals now only use 2 AA instead of 4.

Digger

#3 ·
Yep read that Digger, I have never used a trail cam in my years of hunting but after reading the posts on trail cams and seeing some of the pictures thought I would give it a try.

I am a Nature lover anyhows so figure the pictures at any time of all the critters that might set it off would be welcome :)

Cost is what bugs me :eek: then the idea of getting one sorta well like borrowed and never returned has me
on a digital trail cam as to price.. :roll:

Reckon time will tell.... :-D

#4 ·
Gary L.
When I was using a digital camera that took AA batteries I bought lithium digital camera batteries at WalMart. They cost about $10 for 4 batteries and lasted about 10 times longer than alkaline which made them much cheaper in the long run.
Don't know about the trail cam, though. I'm still using 35mm and paying for developing. It costs more in the long run, but the cost is spread out. Also I hate the thought of someone stealing a $300 - $400 camera, but the $60 35mm wouldn't bankrupt me :lol:

#5 ·
Thats my thoughts on it at this time also wabi :wink: I use rechargeable batteries in a lot of my battery stuff so I have a few around.

The cost of the digitals is what holds me back at this time, but did see a couple I gave some serious thought too...under 200.00 around 124-150 on the green stamps but still would'nt want ta get it taken.. :)

We will wait awhile and see what develops :-D

#6 ·
Deer Cams

I just went to digital this year, Cuddeback......Love it.....I've had it out since 9/1/04 and have gotten over 600 pictures with it. I bought a 512mb CF card and it will hold somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 pics before changing. Runs on D Cell batteries, and I try to change them once a month, even though they are still good. Take these batts home and put it in kids games or whatever else needs short lived batteries.

#7 ·
Read that :D muzzleblast525, I am going to wait before I invest in a Digital and see what might go on sale after the Christmas Holidays. I got 9 pic's shown so far but have no Idea what the might be. That is another area a digital would be handy also, pull the card and go look. :wink:

#8 ·
Well either the trail cam is bad, or I messed up bigtime :shock: Went to remove my film from the cam, pressed the button for rewind and it made noise as if it was rewinding...Open the door and it had not done its job, exposed all the film rreal bumber :? loaded up another roll gona try it again....Also poor distance as the flash don't work at more then 4 -5 yards = 15 feet so will have to get it closer to the area I want to cover.

Ohh well lesson learned :)

#9 ·
GaryL,
Having spent some years in the photoshop business, I'd say the 35mm film that didn't rewind is most likely to be caused from improperly loading the film. Always check the rewind knob (turn counter-clockwise and take up the slack) to make certain it rotates when advancing the film initially. That way, you know if the film has loaded properly on the take-up spool. Now, on the power wind models which I presume you are using, isn't there a take-up knob to check for tension on the film cassette spool? Does your camera pull all the film out onto the take-up spool initally and then pull it back as you take pictures? The motor runs for quite a long time when loading, but just a short time to rewind?

Just another reason why going digital is the way to go for trailcams........I'm not leaving my 35mm camera out there for someone to rip off! As far as flash coverage is concerned, typically modern flash strobes (are very, very small...er punnie is more like it) won't work beyond 12-15 ft. even in bright light! So think about keeping your subject within that limitation since the woods don't reflect anything back to the lens.

#10 ·
Thanks for the information savageT, it is auto take up one starts the film on the take up spool making sure mechanism catching flim slots, close door and flim advances to first picture taking pos.

I agree with ya even though it seemed to load proper it must have not...we will see on this roll as I made sure it was seated proper and did a test and it advanced to number 2. Big thing is cheap camera...I have and use a Yashica 35MM and love it, manual wind on flim advance but sure takes nice pictures..

#11 ·
Well this is sorta premature but just took out my 2nd roll of 35MM film from my trail cam..and this time it did rewind proper. Had 21 pic's showing on counter...7 are me fer sure :shock: the rest are by no doubt a black & white cat, a grey cat, a dog and I would reckon a few racoons and a bushy tail or two...then with any luck a deer or two :-D

Will be picking up the pictures in a hour or two.. :wink:

Worked this time.. :) here's the links..
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgA1...aiOQS4TgMRhs/deer1.JPG?dc=4675496659128422852

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgA1...ltqgjvpFa2bY/deer2.JPG?dc=4675496659132149930

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAj...B6iPuZs0lElI/deer3.JPG?dc=4675496659135458645
:-D :-D :-D Nothing big but still neat ta see :)

#16 ·
Gary L.,
Good idea on the salt block! Never know when one of the neighbor's cows will escape, and it might make it easier to capture it. :-D
I keep a salt block out year - round, but deer use it mostly in the spring/early summer. I did see a nice 8 pointer stop for a taste a couple of weeks ago, but the rascal just ate some of my soyabeans, licked the salt, walked in less than 20 yards from me, and never offered a good shot angle!

#17 ·
Well I learned a little more about my trail cam today, another bad roll of film. I had what I think were some good shots on it as something sure tore up my feeder area and knocked a scent bottle all around the last two days.

I removed the roll of film today and took it to the 1-hr place and got back a blank roll :? Duh!! :cb2: what am I doing wrong ?..it showed 21 pictures had been taken....Wrong ! the film advance read out showed 21 pictures SHOULD have been taken, the film itself did not advance :eek: ..It had never been exposed, clear as heck..

Well loaded in a new roll, checked by opening door and making sure film had advanced as shown, it did so this time should work ok. No way to know for sure that film advances proper with out opening back door and checking, oh well lose a couple shots nothing major now that I know.

Digital Trail cam soon to be.. :-D

#18 ·
I have the Leaf River Trail Scan 35mm trail cam.. It is one SWEET camera! I bought it a couple weeks ago and took a roll of film of me out back from distances 10-30 or so yards in both dark and light and had them developed the other day.. CRYSTAL clear, am very satisfied. Will be taking it up to our land in a couple weeks to set it out.. Should have some great pictures. BTW the 35mm camera that comes in it is the Canon Night Owl, and is so easy to use and the film advance and rewind is smooth!! Flash is real long as well.

Best of luck to you :D

#19 ·
:D hi all, well got the trail cam down to pat :wink: and have taken some nice pictures with it. Took awhile to work out some bugs (ME) but now it do a fine job, gonna use it all summer and see just what nature will let me see. Thanks fer all the help on this subject....Now if it was just Oct-05... :) well maybe not sure have time flying bye too fast now.. :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.