100 yard crossbows - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Default 100 yard crossbows

anyone have one that really shoots minute of deer at a 100 yards. Is it practical considering hold over must be measured in yards not inches. Ive got a relatively inexpensive wicked ridge cross bow and I know its sure not capable even if I was. Im considering stepping up to a better one and it seems about everyone you look at makes outlandish claims. I don't have over a grand to spend and would like an upgrade from what I have without having to rob a bank. Anyone here with some real world top end crossbow experience that has actually done some comparison.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

i've seen a lot on television trying to make rifle shots
with crossbows. they all forget it's still a bow, just stuck
on a rifle stock.
they also forget that even though they mostly all have
big draw weights, that draw weight is sabotaged by a
short light bolt instead of a long stable arrow that will
afford the needed penetration and pass thru and inertia.
it's a trade off that comes out about even
with using a regular bow, you just don't have to draw
when using a crossbow.
i've used a crossbow, but stick to shots at bow ranges
instead of trying to make "hail mary" shots like so many
do these days

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 02:20 PM

I use my brotherís nice, fast, and expensive $900 crossbow. Using a 20Ē bolt and a 100gr Slick Trick fixed broadhead it shoots 2Ē high at 25 yards and 4Ē low at 45 yards. I tried a few 100 yard shots at a round bale of hay. When I finally found my aiming point the trajectory was something akin to slow pitch softball. Iím afraid that even if I could accurately make the shot the deer would jump the string. On my ranch I can easily fill my tags at 45 yards or less and thatís as far as Iím comfortable shooting without risking wounding an animal. Good luck.

Iím directly under the cloud...the big puffy one.
Famous last words, Scout Platoon Leader, 6th Battalion, 327th Infantry
Fort Greeley, Alaska 1983

What the Rons said.
Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Ya ive never shot a deer with about even at 25 yards. 15-20 even with a crossbow is what I set up for. Just blows my mind that they could possibly be so consistant as to shoot close to moa at a 100 yards.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:44 AM

My neighbor has one that does shoot @100 yds and he cant give it away (half price) ! Limbs to long /heavy /clunky and propitiatory bolts and no you cant kill anything @100 yds . Great for taking up closet space .Not user friendly for sure/Ed
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

what brand would that be? Only one ive shot that is suppose to be capable is the raven r20. One of the sons on the farm we do crop damage shooting on bought one. Its no heavier then my wicked ridge and is more compact. Big problem with it is he paid almost 2500 bucks for it!!! Like you said the problem with about any crossbow or even compound bow is the minute you walk out of the store with one they loose 25 percent of there value and a year later you about cant give them away for half price. There about the only thing that's a worse investment then a new car or truck. that raven really whistled arrows out of it but I wouldn't pay 2500 bucks for a gun let alone a bow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikshooter View Post
My neighbor has one that does shoot @100 yds and he cant give it away (half price) ! Limbs to long /heavy /clunky and propitiatory bolts and no you cant kill anything @100 yds . Great for taking up closet space .Not user friendly for sure/Ed

Last edited by lloyd smale; 10-03-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 AM

I would be interested to see the velocity and remaining energy at that distance. I wonder if there are any penetration test for crossbows at that distance.

The light cross bow bolts are like shooting a fast pistol bullet that sheds all it's energy quick as opposed to a heavy bullet that carries its energy much further. Good at close range, but limited at distance.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Lloyd,

My BIL and I went to a local shop (downstate in Fenton) and test shot bows from $500-$1500. Ten Points, Mission, Excalibur, and Ravin. Side by side, the Ravin was the ONLY bow that seemed worth the money.

It was the only one that didn't have anything awkward, uncomfortable during the entire c0ck/load/shoot process. Shot was smoother with less noise than the others. The others, even at $1000, didn't seem like a huge improvement over a $400 Barnett.

He bought the R10 for $1500. This last weekend I shot a 1" group @ 40yds off the porch. Admittedly not 100yds, but I don't doubt the bow has target accuracy that far. We both agree that 50 is about it for deer though - after that there's just too much time for a deer to move or wind to affect the shot.

I'm going the other way for now - I'll be buying a $200-$500 Barnett this year or next. To me a XBow is a tool, not going to target shoot for fun all year.

Just my $0.02.

Terry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

he got a slamming deal on that r10! I have to agree that although they may be more then I can afford and are probably an overkill for how I hunt when I shot the r10 it felt hands down a lot nicer unit then my wicked ridge. So much so that that's what brought this post. I guess im looking for that kind of quality at a better price. Maybe I don't really need it but then I don't need a couple dozen bolt action rifles a dozen ar15s or a safe full of handguns either.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Raven and scorpio (maybe misspelled) he said weight of bolt limits use in hunting , playing with targets on a calm day is another story !
I wouldn"t know as a Barrnet Raptor works for me ,just what the neighbor said/Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page