Maximum ethical hunting distance?? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:27 AM

You're thinking too much. Anything can happen, but if the deer is not spooked you can read them pretty well and know when to shoot. If you have experience and can contain your nerves, no reason you cannot shoot at whatever distance you are comfortable with a target. If you cannot contain your nerves, it makes little difference the distance at what you shoot. But the only way to get experience is to shoot... Nobody wants to wound an animal, but can't kill one with the bolt/arrow/bullet still in the weapon.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Gun Cabinet

I agree with everything buckskin just said in the post before me. My experience of taking 40 + deer with all types of archery equipment has showed me the deer that have jumped the string have either been very nervous from either catching some scent or some have made eye contact with me and are watching for movement and when the arrow is released they have very quick reactions when they see the arrow on its way.
It's best not to even try a shot at a deer when it has you busted. With a gun I don't see it being a problem if you have the deer in your sights and safety off and the only movement is pulling the trigger.
To say I limit a shot to a maximum range is not the truth, every shooting situation is different. I have shot bedded deer , walking deer , deer that have their head down or behind a tree ect. When you feel the shot is right and you are confident in the range go for it ! I have many memories of deer I let walk because of the angle or what wasn't right for a shot even at 10-15 yards.

jedman

Still kickin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page