Maximum ethical hunting distance?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Default Maximum ethical hunting distance??

I have a wicked ridge x-bow listed as 300 fps and 175 # draw weight. I am confident shooting 40+ yards but want to limit my deer hunting range. What should my maximum kill shot be assuming perfect behind shoulder broadside 1 or double lung shot be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM

I probably have the same bow except mine is a invader. I can hit a 3 inch circle at 50 yards but I set up to shoot no more then 30 yards at live game. I was out at the farm the other day and one of the owners was there. He had a rampage or rage or some such thing. it was suppose to be able to shoot 2 inch groups at a 100 yards. I watched him do it at 75. Amazing but way out of my budget.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 08-27-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM

I am not an expert by any means. So take my opinion for the .02 cents it might be worth. The old school of thought was that anything over 30 yards the deer would hear the sound of your bow going off and jump. In other words you would either miss the deer or worse, wound it and not kill it. Now that we have faster bows and crossbows out there, that distance has probably changed. I will let some of you guys that are better at math figure that new distance out. I will stick with a 30 to 40 yard limit for my hunting. I shoot the Wicked Ridge Invader X4 it is rated at 360 fps.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:29 PM

I shoot an old Barnett C5 Wildcat. She tosses out the bolt/broadhead combo at a chronographed 305fps, into a 2>3inch group at 50 yards (I resharpen my broadhead blades out of the package, so touching them up is no problem), and EVERY bolt/broadhead combo is flighttested.

Last year my field hedgrow ladderstand gave me two oppurtunities at a rangefinder varified 40yards, and I harvested both deer. The deer which showed at 50 and 70 yards got a free ride, for no other reason than that ethical thing. Sure I could have hit ether one, but one step while the bolt is in flight pretty much insures a gut hit deer, and the deer should not have to pay so high a price for stupidity on my part.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 PM

That is up to you... Archery equipment has come a long way and some of the x-bows these days can easily shoot +100 yards accurately. I don't shoot x-bow, but my rig chrono's about 314 and I have a 60 yard pin. My longest kill shot was on a very nice 12 pt, 54 yards and watched him run off and drop.

I've never seen a deer jump an arrow, although the x-bows I have shot are very loud, so maybe more of a chance of string jump with them, don't know. I've never shot one of the high end x-bows. If you are confident at 40, I see no reason why you couldn't shoot a deer at that range.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM

Thanks dstegjas, that is a good rule of thumb and the reasoning behind it, hadn't heard that before.
I did wonder how you decided whether or not to compensate for jumping the string.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
I did wonder how you decided whether or not to compensate for jumping the string.
best wishes
Since deer or any animal for that matter are unpredictable. You never know what they will do when they are spooked. They might drop, jump or do nothing. That's why I don't take the shot beyond that 30 or 40 yard mark. The chance of wounding a deer is just to great, at least for me.

I do know people that have taken deer out at 50 yards. They are excellent shots and practice almost daily. However they will also tell you that they have missed deer at those ranges because the deer jumps before the arrow gets there.

I am not saying that taking a shot beyond the 30-40 yard marker is unethical. That is entirely up to the hunter to make that decision. everyone's capabilities are different so what is good for one may not be for another.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 AM

some say deer jump the string. Id think if anything the farther away you are the less likely there going to jump the string. Ive shot deer with a 300 mag at a 100 yards and the other deer in the field just lifted there head and looked

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
some say deer jump the string. Id think if anything the farther away you are the less likely there going to jump the string. Ive shot deer with a 300 mag at a 100 yards and the other deer in the field just lifted there head and looked
I never really concerned myself about a deer "jumping the string" either Lloyd. My Wildcat sounds nearly like a .22 going off, and generally all the reaction the deer give is to pick up their head to check out the noise. Step on a brittle stick or some dry leaves and you'll see a panic response.....not so much with the unfamiliar sound of an Xbow.

My concerns come from a deer coincidently taking a step forward for the next piece of grass, or whatever, just as I press the Xbow trigger. 40 yards may even be pressing the issue.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 AM

what ive allways done is on longer shots aimed right on the shoulder (low shoulder) instead of behind it. That way if the deer moves a bit the arrow goes behind the shoulder instead of in the guts. If it doesn't move you loose a bit of meat but not much with a bow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page