Graybeard Outdoors banner

Thumbs up for Bear

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dinny 
#1 ·
I decided to get back into deer hunting this year (been away from it for about 10 years). Thought it was time to upgrade my crossbow (Horton Summit 150 1b, 260 fps) with something a bit faster. Being on the cheap side, I elected to try the Bear X Vanish crossbow. It's 190 1b draw and rated at 370 fps, and found a deal on it at Amazon for $200 with scope, quiver, 3 arrows and a rope cocker. When it arrived, the riser bolt was missing (argh). I called Bear and they sent me a new one that arrived in a week (due in part to the hurricane that had in Florida). Finally got to test it last week. After getting the scope sited in, I decided to see how this thing would shoot. First impression was it is crazy fast. I could follow the arrow to the target pretty well with my Horton, but not with this one. It was NOTICEABLY faster. I sighted the first scope reticle for 20 yards, shot a 1 1/2" group and then moved out to 30 yards. Using the second scope reticle, it shot a 2" group, but about 4 inches high. I then shot the 30 yard target with the first scope reticle and found my sub 2" group was only about 1" below my 20 yard group. Accordingly, the first reticle has now become my 30 yards and under sight. I then moved out to 40 yards and shot two 4" groups with the second reticle (right in the bull). Moving out to 50 yards, I shot a 4 1/4" group using the third reticle. I suppose the fourth reticle will be good at about 60 yards, but stopped shooting that day as it was 92 degrees and I was getting a bit tired from cocking the crossbow. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I was not shooting off of a bench and sandbags, but using the back of a kitchen chair to rest the forearm of the crossbow. I'm sure with a proper rest (to cure my "shakiness") this thing should easily shoot 3" groups at 50 yards. As to the speed, I did not shoot it over my chronograph, but I did watch a review of it on youtube and the fellow shooting his got a reading of 378 fps. All in all, a very well spent $200.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I saw that. Don't know what his problem was. I shot the crossbow with the supplied arrows and was able to get right on target. Now, when I switched to some other arrows that were 25 grains heavier, I did run out of adjustment on the scope. But, I simply added a few paper shims inside the rear scope ring, and it raised the point of impact enough that I had two full turns on the scope elevation adjustment left. Never had to mess with a riser or changing to a different set of rings.

#4 ·
My experience mirrors yours but I just got a Barnett Whitetail STR 370. I'm amazed at how fast they are.

Thanks, Dinny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.