Crossbow Predjudice - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Crossbow Predjudice

I specifically said that I'd support the use of crossbows, just not during archery season. I never said anything about 100 yards. I believe drawing and holding a bow is extremely difficult to do without being seen while aiming a rifle or xbow is significantly less so.

I never said you didn't need to practice.

I have shot a xbow, and I found it easier to pick-up than regular archery.

I'm not worried about it.

If I'd have had a vote, I'd have voted against (like the overwhelming majority of voters) because I think the line should be drawn for archery equipment at regular bows. I think xbows have true advantages over modern bows. I'd similarly vote against draw-locks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

First of all not trying to start a arguement here with you as your opinions are as welcome here as mine or anyones OK. I will ask you this, shoot one and carry one through the woods and then tell me that they have more advantages over a bow it just is not so. By that I mean if nothng else simulate a hunt with one not just shoot it at a target. In fact in a lot of instances a bow is handier. I did not say YOU said a 100 yards but that is what a lot of folks think INCLUDING some misinformed folks who have written xbow articles on the web. Movement is movement if you draw as you are bring the bow up it is not more differnce than shouldering a xbow or gun if they see the movement they do. Too many variables there to even argue about as I have seen deer stand and look at you while you could be dancing a jig. Other times a chickidee flitting around may spook them so not every thing is in concrete that is for sure. I still have a issue with bow hunters who say I do not care what you do as long as you do not do it during MY season and that could include bird hunters or bear hunters or other methods of deer hunting. Too many bow hunters are too darn self serving and use any exuse to have the woods to them self some often claiming how hard it is to kill a deer with a bow yada yada yada ect and they do not need any other things going on in the woods. Well I have killed more deer with a bow than I ever did with a gun due to the liberal season in WI and extra tags the last 15 years and it is not all that hard to do. Last year is the only year I did not kill one with a bow or xbow for the simple reason I could not afford to hunt as much or I would have. I still shot 2 with a pistol and one with rifle. The biggest issue I have is when folks say not during my season that really irks me as we should all stick together on this hunting issue as hunters but too many find reasons to divide folks on either this or other issues. No one wants anyone to bother them well it happens so I would suggest we all get used to it. Jim

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:53 AM

I also don't buy the "we should all stick together" argument. I think part of what brings the hunting community under attack today is that we are afraid to police ourselves. We'd rather have the public see video of somebody walking up and shooting a tame elk in a pen than criticize these "hunts" ourselves.

You simply will not convince me that not having to draw and hold is not an advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

How did we get into shooting elk in pens???????? We do have to stick together and that is the biggest problem those that just bowhunt could care less if the Second Amendment is getting attacked as they figure it will not bother them well guess what those folks that belong to animal allies and PETA want to ban ALL hunting and there are lots of them and they have powerfull backing too. Policing our selves is good but traditionalist fighting with inlines and bow VS crossbow, Bear dog people against the baiters and the list goes on all that is not good if we are to keep our sports we better start supporting the other guy too or we may loose it all. The antis will not quit and will attack from all sides and look for any weak spot we present. Jim

post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Default lets take dukkillr's idea further

I believe compound bows give an unfair advantage with sights, releases and let off. Archery season should be for traditional bows only If you want to use a compound bow do it during a firearms season. I bet no one is suggesting this, so leave the crossbows alone and let them be used during regular archery or make everybody use traditional bows during archery season. I have used all three types traditional, compound and crossbow. If you want more of a challenge thats fine, a crossbow will only bring more people to archery. A crossbow was the first bow I ever shot yet I have used all 3 for hunting. Some people whine just because more people will be hunting, thats what we need, is more people interested in hunting. A friend at work is buying a crossbow to try hunting for his first time. This is a good thing we need more people hunting.

Mike H
post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: lets take dukkillr's idea further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike357mag
I believe compound bows give an unfair advantage with sights, releases and let off. Archery season should be for traditional bows only If you want to use a compound bow do it during a firearms season. I bet no one is suggesting this, so leave the crossbows alone and let them be used during regular archery or make everybody use traditional bows during archery season. I have used all three types traditional, compound and crossbow. If you want more of a challenge thats fine, a crossbow will only bring more people to archery. A crossbow was the first bow I ever shot yet I have used all 3 for hunting. Some people whine just because more people will be hunting, thats what we need, is more people interested in hunting. A friend at work is buying a crossbow to try hunting for his first time. This is a good thing we need more people hunting.

Mike H
Agreed Mike we do need more folks hunting you bring up a good point because at the time way back when the traditional bow hunters said exactly that and did not want compounds used. Now those folks who use compounds are saying the same about crossbows. I still say and I think that you will agree using a crossbow is still not a walk in the park. They still act like any other bow with how the arrow or bolt flies ect.

post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM

FYI; it seems I was one year off. Maine's crossbow season starts next year.

"Legislation was recently enacted that will allow the use of crossbows beginning in 2006 for hunting deer and bear during the firearm seasons on those species. There will be a $25.00 fee for a crossbow hunting license. Requires a person to old a valid big game hunting license to be eligible for a crossbow hunting license; requires a person to complete both a crossbow and archery hunting education course prior to obtaining a crossbow license; and prohibits the possession of a crossbow by a convicted felon until 5 years after the person is discharged from the sentence imposed."

TANSTAAFL
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:54 PM

Where does crossbow hunting during regular season really pay off? Suburbia. So many small to middle-sized towns are having problems with high deer populations impacting local drivers (literally) and backyard landscapers (figuratively). Yet the areas are closed to even shotgun hunting because one cannot discharge a firearm within 300 yards of a residence.

Yes, these areas can be hunted during archery season, but not everyone wants to develop the needed skills (even those few needed to use a compound bow with gimmicks) to bowhunt successfully.

(Minor edit for spelling 8/3)

TANSTAAFL
post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I live in a fair sized city (Superior) it is not Madison WI by No means but decent sized. We have had a suburban deer hunt here for quite a few years and deer are still a problem and we have lots of bow hunters that hunt in town. I bet out of the many bow hunters hunting there may be 5 0r 6 crossbow hunters and that is a rough estimate as I know of 4 including me. The city had to change the ordinance this year to include the words crossbow along with bow in their regulations. There may be more xbow hunters here in the future but for now not many most guys use bows. I suppose that since WI allows guys over 65 to use them now maybe the numbers will start climbing and if we can get past the Wisconsin Bow Hunters Ass. who are dead set any one using a xbow maybe more will hunt with one. Jim

post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 PM

long bow only or let xbows in reg. archery season.Good point about more hunters and suburban hunting.The deer are winning here,
lizzzard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page