Where have all the Texans gone? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Where have all the Texans gone?

markc, Earlier in the year, one of the property owners who has 30 acres submitted his paper work for the Wildlife Exemption to Edwards County.. They rejected his application and told him he had to have at least 50 acres. This is BS. Hopefully we will get some answers from the state biologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM

I wish I could say that I am astonished, but from what I gather, Miss Cotton there in Edwards Co apparently has been able to run things as she desires for some time. Now that more land owners are applying for Wildlife exemptions, she has her work cut out for her. There is a way to protest, or contest her findings, and even hiring a company such as Plateau, to do the leg work for you doesn't guarantee approval. In Another county near Centerville, my sister has an approved and working plan on her 23 acres. Edwards Co must think that land owners are stupid or something.

http://bobcathollowfossilcreek.com/wildlife_management

Here is some very good info on this subject. I am not endorsing Plateau Management in any way. This is from the web site of the POA on whose board I serve. I hope the info is helpful.

markc
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Markc
In a nutshell, this is a way to reduce property taxes for your land ?

aka BBF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM

markc, Thanks for the info.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Scatterbrain, yes and no. A landowner obviously will pay taxes on the land, and the higher the appraised value, the higher the tax. No surprise there. One can apply for an agricultural exemption by placing a certain number of livestock on the property, making application through the county appraisal district. Several years ago, in Texas, voters approved a new exemption for wildlife management. Again, one has to apply, and once approved, submit an annual report showing how the land owner is working towards the goals and objectives listed in the original application.

It isn't as simple as just filling out the application (10 pages) and mailing it in. There are 7 wildlife management areas of activity, and you must choose 3 that you will be involved in. For example, we choose supplemental water, & feed, predator reduction and supplemental shelter (bird or bat houses).

Once approved, the taxes paid are much lower than what you would pay ordinarily.

markc
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM

markc, Sat. the state biologist was very informative. He covered every thing from the Ag exemption to the Wildlife exemption. He is very familiar with Ms. Cotton. There have been law suits against Edwards County re exemptions. He said the only problem is you may win but the next year Edwards County comes back at you with the same claim for taxes. He also mentioned that some of us can form a co-op and unite our efforts for the Wildlife exemption. The taxes are the same apparently for both the Ag Exemp. and the Wildlife Exemp. Obviously fewer cattle or none would be good. He said he would not entirely eliminate all the cattle. He provided a ratio for cattle/acres which I don't remember but I do know that 85 head on 2600 acres is too many. At least we are making progress albit slow.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
HL

NO wells on our ranch. Now that the stock tanks have been cleaned out, we are just waiting for rain.

In the mean time, we have hooked up to the county water supply and moved several 150 gallon water troughs onto the place.

These cattle have never had water this good before.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Not having abundant water was one of the reasons that made me leave AZ in 1971.

aka BBF
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM

I travel Webb county a lot. My brother lives outside of Mirando city. The ranchers have all sold their cattle or have moved them north. Most folks are having to haul water for household use. What wells are around are usually shallow for this part of Texas and the water is bad. Good enough for the commode or washing but not for drinking. The deer are hanging on, how, I haven't a clue but they are alive and doing okay. There was not much of a fawn crop this year so it's going to be a slow hunt this winter. All of the animals had few offspring, even coyotes. I just spoke with bro and it's 112F at his place at 7:30 PM. It might be down to 100F by the 10 o'clock news. Most of the shallow tanks have dried up and the deep ones are going away at a pretty fair clip. It's so hot and dry that even the cactus is dying. North towards San Antonio, trees are dying along the hiway from no water. I've never known a mesquite tree to die from lack of water but that's what it looks like. Makes it pretty bad when most folks are praying for a hurricane. A bunch of thunderstorms isn't going to do much good anymore. It'll take a rain of 12-15" in several days to start things getting back to normal.
On the plus side, if you haven't been down to the area in a while, they are putting up wind generators at the rate of 2 a day. The desert winds they've been having from the heat makes these things hum right along. It's almost hard to go anywhere and not see one somewhere on the horizon. Yet the area still suffers from tremendous power surges that's real hard on A/C units and electronics. Line voltage can swing from 90V to 150V in a second.

Anyway, another Texan signing in. I don't get by much but I guess I need to change that.
L
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Welcome Larry L, nice to have you on the Texas forum.

With regard to wildlife vs cattle, there are no exemptions on taxes. What it is is a reduction in the amount of taxes paid/owed, but of course everyone still pays.

Here is a picture of 1/2 of our wildlife watering system. It is one qualifying activity, providing supplemental water.

[IMG]
It is 330 gallons, and we will use rain water, when available to re-fill t, and when there isn't sufficient rain water, we have contracted with the Martin Ranch to re-fill it for us.

Perhaps hard to see, but there is 22' of gutter on the little cabin that empties into a 250 gallon tank. When it rains that is.

markc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page