Drilling: Why do you use a drilling - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Question Drilling: Why do you use a drilling

I know there are several drilling owners on this board who actively use their drilling. Why do you use a drilling, what are the advantages of a drilling over a shot gun or rifle? Why do you think drilling's are not popular in the USA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM

I use a drilling when there is a legal possibility of shooting a "wild pig", deer, or varmint while I am bird hunting. Most drilling that I've handle weigh around 7.25 to 7.34 pounds and handle like most really good SxS shotguns. IMO the reason drilling's are not more popular are their cost to manufacture and buy. The closest thing we've had to a drilling in the U.S. has been the model 24 Savage over and under, but because the most common rifle caliber (.22LR) is paired with a shotgun (until later manufacturing years) was all that was initially available, few adults purchased them for dedicated bird hunting. And, even when it was offered in center fire calibers, few were they purchased over repeaters in the same caliber or shotgun gauge. Drilling's are also expensive to scope mount; and they change the character and handling of the firearm. It becomes a "weighted" and expensive appendage to an otherwise superb work of art. I treasure my drilling, and feel fortunate to have acquired one; however, I wouldn't give up most of my "collection" to own one. My .02. BTW, I do load and cast for mine.

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:34 PM

For a while back about eight years ago Remington made a double Rifle in 30-06 called a Spartian the gun shows here had a lot of them for around 5 to 6 hundred dollars a friend of mine bought one and sent it to someone back east and converted one barrel to 410 smooth bore he really loved it.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
For a while back about eight years ago Remington made a double Rifle in 30-06 called a Spartian the gun shows here had a lot of them for around 5 to 6 hundred dollars a friend of mine bought one and sent it to someone back east and converted one barrel to 410 smooth bore he really loved it.

Deaconllb

That Spartan was interesting. If I remember correctly it was a Baikal, banded by Remington. They were available as combo and double rifles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 PM

Many years ago I lived in a state where it was legal to hunt birds with a dog but not big game. I enjoyed taking my dog hunting with me after work so a Savage 24 in 30-30 over 12 ga. became my choice of firearm. Thought the 30-30 might be handy if a deer was found. Took a lot of grouse, pheasant and rabbit but never any big game. Dog passed away a dozen years ago. We sure had a good time walking those creek bottoms. Could have just carried a shotgun. Would have been a lot less weight. Sold the Savage shortly after she died.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk View Post
I know there are several drilling owners on this board who actively use their drilling. Why do you use a drilling, what are the advantages of a drilling over a shot gun or rifle? Why do you think drilling's are not popular in the USA?
Main reason I started using a drilling is...because they work!

I started out when I was a kid with a Savage 24, and over the years I grew to dislike them. SO, wanting something better, meaning something easier to choose bbls faster, better regulated ectů

SO, I moved up to the Savage 2400, then the Valmet 412's and they were vast improvements, but it still left me wanting! FINALLY in the early 80's I found what I was looking for, a Krieghoff drilling and I've never looked back!

When I flew out in the bush one or two hundred miles, I needed to go light and be able to shoot what ever presented itself. On this hunt,

I shot a moose fairly early in the hunt, so I became the camp "meat" provider. Some days I jump shot ducks, other days I shot grouse with the 22lr insert bbl. in the right bbl.. I never heard anyone of the other three guys out there with me complain about my meat providing skills one bit. lol

I've went into the bush and lived off what my drilling provided and it's been nice always having the RIGHT gun with me for what ever presented itself.

I kill one or two deer with it every year, and it get's used for many things, from turkeys with the shot bbls.,

to fox with the 22 bbl.,

to all kinds of other meat for my freezer...

I was glad to have it in my hands when this big guy presented itself,

and some days I'm strictly meat hunting,

What's not to like???

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the pictures! What year was your Krieghoff made? And, what is your scope and mount set up?

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:03 PM

My Krieghoff was proofed in Oct. of 1935, and I have two scopes for it,

A B&L 1.5x6 and a Zeiss 3x9, of course both in claw mounts...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
My Krieghoff was proofed in Oct. of 1935, and I have two scopes for it,

A B&L 1.5x6 and a Zeiss 3x9, of course both in claw mounts...

DM

The barrels look brand new. Are they original condition?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 AM

One November hunting caribou in Cold Bay Alaska (80's), I met a hunter who carried a 16x16x 7x57. He was out hunting caribou and geese (before steel shot rules I think). He also carried some slugs or buck in case he bumped into a brown bear. I never saw the gun but we visited about it one evening in the bar after a day of hunting. Would have liked to see the gun - he seemed a very knowledgable guy. The gun seemed ideal for his uses. I'm just too cheap to go that route.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page