Drilling/Combo: Are you concerned about hunting with a classic or expensive firearm - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Drilling/Combo: Are you concerned about hunting with a classic or expensive firearm

When I first started into the combo gun I purchased a Baikal 12/30-06 for $400. After talking with Drilling Man he convinced me to go with a Valmet 412. I purchased my first Valmet 412 12/30-06 and sold the Baikal. I have not looked back.

But at the time I had a mental block that I should not use such a nice firearm as the Valmet 412 for hunting. My concern was that I would scratch it, ding it or break it.

Are you/were you concerned about hunting with a classic drilling or combo gun? What caused you to get over and concerns or mental reservations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 PM

I've only ever bought firearms that I can use on the range on in the field. Most of them cost me somewhere between $400 to &1,500. The most expensive rifle I have is a Merkel double rifle (500NE) that cost $9k AUD several years ago. It was a painful decision to buy it (forking out that much money on a rifle) but the sole intent was to use it, so I never had any reservations about doing so. Having said that, it received some minor scratching on the outside of one of the barrels as a result of being taken down and in a case with the fore-end piece being too close to it - the bumps from driving around with it in the back of the car allowed the fore-end metalwork to rub on the barrel. Still, could be touched up so it's not noticeable.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk View Post
But at the time I had a mental block that I should not use such a nice firearm as the Valmet 412 for hunting. My concern was that I would scratch it, ding it or break it.
I've never been afraid to take my 412 out and use it...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

I have two Savage 24Vs and while I haven't hunted in many years, I wouldn't avoid it. I got them in case I do go hunting at some point again (or if we get a chance to travel).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page