Graybeard Outdoors banner

Chiappa Double Badger

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SJB 
#1 ·
Who's got one? Thoughts? I'm looking at the 22 mag/410. I was thinking about the 22 mag/20 ga but it appears they've halted production on it.

#2 ·
I have one, 22/410 and like most of my guns I haven't shot it. It is very well made, tight to open, looks European. Much more substantial than the new savage 42 and a good price compared to existing o/u. I don't like the looks of the opening lever but it works just fine. It folds (sort of) not enough to make it really packable. I read somewhere that the hinge bolt was removed and replaced with a pin that could be removed to break it down for packing. The accuracy reviews I have read are pretty good for this type of gun. I think I got it from either Buds or Sportsmans guide. Sights seem decent, probably better than most.

mike

#6 ·
I had one in .22 lr over .410. It was accurate enough. It did not fold completely in half. It was finicky about ammo. For some reason, the Aguila ammo would suffer light primer strikes and not fire. CCI worked well enough. For a "survival" firearm, it must be reliable with ammo. So I sold mine. (No problems with .410 shells.).

#14 ·
I had one for a time. I liked it for the sights, the double triggers, and its handiness. However, it was particular about ammo - the .22 lr ammo from Aquila had problems. Either the rim was too strong for the firing pin or the firing pin spring was too weak. CCI and other ammo worked. For me, a trunk gun or survival gun must shoot any brand of ammo in that caliber. (Similar issues I had with the Henry AR7 survival rifle and the Marlin 795 - they required high velocity ammo as standard velocity would not operate the action half the time).

At one time EAA (also known as Spartan under the Remington Brand) had a very nice combo in .22 or .22 Magnum over 20 gauge. It had double triggers. It was accurate. It had a rear sight that was only adjustable for windage and the front sight for elevation. I had one for a time in .22 Magnum over 20 gauge. I wanted one in .22 but could never find one as they seem to disappear by buyers quicker than me. They did make a slightly different model in .22 over .410.

#15 ·
I also dearly want a 22 mag/410. I have seen a couple on the web gun sales sites but they haven't called to me yet.

I knew about these and a shop on the other side of the state got a couple so I took the trip. There size is ok but the action and everything just left me flat. Not appealing.
Savage 24 have there own Idiosyncrasies but I know and like them better. Ill wait. Ill find one one day.

Good luck

CW

#16 ·
Purchased one 4 years ago. When I got it home and out of the box I was horrified at the poor finishing. Mill marks, file marks, the sides of the receivers had ripples in them, and also a deep line that looked like a crack in the receiver. Four scope holes were drilled but not threaded. Sent gun back to Chiappa with letter pointing out the flaws, asked for a new gun. Chiappa threaded the holes and returned same gun with note that screw holes were 6-40.Tried 6-40 screw but it was swallowed up by the hole. Called Chiappa and asked them to check with gunsmith on screw size.They said he said it was 6-40, I said that's impossible and asked to speak with gunsmith. Was told no, he never answers the phone ( wonder why). Finally found a screw to fit and realized holes were off center by 20 degrees and useless anyway. Next problem was .22 firing pin was so long it would crush the shell after firing. Had to use pocketknife to remove shell as extractor could not remove. Also, to remove shells you need to take the safety off before opening with the lever. There have also been cases where rounds have gone off when gun is closed because firing pins had not retracted. Also real problem with parts availability, Chiappa does not list parts (with prices) for this on their site but states you need to call for parts. They refuse to sell many common parts but demand that you send gun in for repair as only their old world master craftsman can work on this gun. I've seen glowing reviews on YouTube of the Double Badger but, they are always shooters who just purchased it and have not used the gun much. It's a shame because the basic design is good and it could be a neat little gun. Would love to see Henry manufacture these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.