Graybeard Outdoors banner

Heads up 45-70 double rifle

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Headrush 
#1 ·
I see there is a as new test fired only Remington Balkan double rifle in 45-70 listed on Gun Broker auction the bid now is a tad over 1000.00 dollars lots of pictures but from pictures not too well made if you so desire one.

Deaconllb

#2 ·
I saw on in a gun store several years ago. The two people working there refused to even acknowledge me so I left and never went back. Sad as I likely would have bought it, it was well under $1000. I hear they closed up, I can see why....

Reactions: Headrush
#3 ·
I saw at the gun shows several the spartan doubles in 30-06 for just under 600.00 I had one of the Remington Spartans in 410 was not too bad of a little gun I think I paid 150 for it.

Deaconllb

#5 ·
The Baikal doubles have a spotty history. They do go bang, though. The critical issue is regulation. The barrels on these guns are regulated by tightening or loosening a wedge that sits near the muzzle. How well that device holds the barrels has always been the question.
The classic DRs have the barrels soldered together. That process of soldering, testing, desoldering, resoldering multiple times is both tedious and expensive. The wedge is a way around that.
I sure would like to shoot one though. I have a double O/U in .30-06 that is a good shooter but would like a classic SXS DR.
Pete

#6 ·
As I have said before I really have no use for a drilling as I don't bird hunt anymore but I still would like to own one as most if not all are a work of art and a pleasure to handle and drool over.

Deaconllb

Reactions: DunRanull
#8 · (Edited)
Thought I would add my 2 cents, since I owned one. Not a best grade English double by any means, but well made. Good balance and not that heavy. Decent triggers. Accurate enough with Hornady factory loads and cast reloads to keep centered fist sized groups at 50 yards. The barrel regulating feature does work. Good wood and finish. Really, nothing wrong with the gun, and about the only game in town if you want a big bore double rifle without having to sell a kidney. I have lots of rifles, and only sold my 45/70 because a guy really wanted it in a trade for a gun he had that I really wanted. I used it a number of years ago to take a nice Maine buck, and it worked well. Funny thing at the range, I often had guys ask why I was shooting targets from the bench with a 410 shotgun, especially when I put a scope on it... couldn't figure out why I scoped a rabbit gun...:)

Larry

Attachments

#11 ·
Thought I would add my 2 cents, since I owned one. Not a best grade English double by any means, but well made. Good balance and not that heavy. Decent triggers. Accurate enough with Hornady factory loads and cast reloads to keep centered fist sized groups at 50 yards. The barrel regulating feature does work. Good wood and finish. Really, nothing wrong with the gun, and about the only game in town if you want a big bore double rifle without having to sell a kidney. I have lots of rifles, and only sold my 45/70 because a guy really wanted it in a trade for a gun he had that I really wanted. I used it a number of years ago to take a nice Maine buck, and it worked well. Funny thing at the range, I often had guys ask why I was shooting targets from the bench with a 410 shotgun, especially when I put a scope on it... couldn't figure out why I scoped a rabbit gun...:)

Larry

did you have to lower the comb on your stock any? Your stock sure looks better than mine.
Steve
Steve

#9 ·
My Baikal doubles in 30.06 has always shot well at whitetail distances for me?
Steve

#12 ·
No Steve, it was as from the factory. I think the ones imported under the Remington name had a little better finish and wood. Comb height worked pretty well with the iron sights, or scope. Only thing really is when you fired it from the bench with those Heavy Hornady loads (325 grain bullet at 2050 fps) , better be sitting straight up - If you were slouching down, over the gun, the recoil was pretty stiff, and the comb would smack you in the cheek. With hindsight, I wish I had kept it. It probably garnered more interest on the range than any gun I have owned, once guys realized it was a SxS big bore double rifle. More guys probably shot a couple rounds trying it out than I ever did as it's owner...:)

Larry

#13 ·
Maybe just my physical makeup but I couldn't even see the sights on my Remington Bakai until a local stock maker lower the comb on it?
Steve

#14 ·
Thats the problem with factory stocks made to fit the mythical "average" person - they work for most, and fit no one really well. My fathers favorite deer rifle was a Ruger Deerstalker. Fit him like a glove. Much as I like that rifle, I don't like shooting it, it smacks the crap out of my cheek when I try to get the iron sights aligned.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.