I was reading over on the high road about bug out revolvers - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default I was reading over on the high road about bug out revolvers

Some there belive a Ruger bearcat to be the answer but, I chose a S&W model 63-0 that I had Clements do a new front sight on.
https://imgur.com/wIoNIdj
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

I have a S&W 63 also. The only complaint I have is that the rear sight won't go low enouth to shoot to point of aim. Always shoots high. Other than that it is a nice revolver.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Personally, I put a Sheridan Knocabout in my evacuation bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
I have a S&W 63 also. The only complaint I have is that the rear sight won't go low enouth to shoot to point of aim. Always shoots high. Other than that it is a nice revolver.
Try temporarily adding a bit of height the front sight..say a bit of blackened match stick glued along he top of the present front sight. That should lower the strike of th bullet. If it works, replace or modify the front sight.
Notice that S. B. had his front sight replaced...

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:27 AM

I like the 63, as a bugout though I'm not sold on the 22, especially since snares are light, infinitely reloadable, and accomplish the same objective. I definitely prefer a light k/l frame revolver, but would most likely choose a 32/38/357 for the things a 22 doesn't do as well. And then there's snakes; I know folks pack a bearcat with snakeshot for toting in snake country, and it's dandy, I've used it. But a 32/38 shot shell is just as dandy. Count me as yes for revolvers, but no for 22.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:

A taller front sight would work, but it would be easier to replace the rear sight leaf with one that has shorter "ears". They are available in different heights.

I like the model 63, at least in concept. Owned one for years, but I never could shoot it well enough to count on being able to fill the pot with small game. Replaced it as a woods bumming gun with a Bearcat that I can shoot pretty well. But, lots of guys have a hard time with the small gripped Bearcat, so go figure.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 AM

It Depends upon how concerned one is with cosmetics. I have used epoxy to place a sliver of blued steel to the top of a rifle. It didn't look too bad, and still worked well.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
S&W K rear sight blade work in J frames but, you have to file them narrower(and apply a little cold blue) to work in the little frames. What I had to do in my 63 with higher front sight Clements put in?
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Hi All

I have been thinking my Ruger single six in 22/22M would be good for this.

With a 5.5" barrel it is not too big and the 22 mag will hold its own in a pinch on larger game.

Kid
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 AM

I have gone to the Ruger LCRx with the 3inch barrel. I can carry it all day fishing or woods loafing and forget its there. Good on snakes and all kinds of varmints.

River Pirate
K4LFB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page