My new to me acquisition S&W model 58 - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Groo here
Welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We found a great load for them.
The powder is Trailboss , the bullet was SNS coated SWC 215gr,the primer was winchester.
Full length size, prime , 6gr powder[1/2 gr under book max] seat and HEAVY crimp.
The trick is the near full case, hot primer , normal weight boolet. and good crimp..
Of the 5 guns tried 3in 657,4in 57 , 4 5/8 ruger,and two custom New Vaquero's 3 1/2 in and 5 1/4 in ,
all would print 6shots touching at about 7yd , hit well outside and had very mild kick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to CLEAN DEAN Send a message via Yahoo to CLEAN DEAN

I have a S&W mod. 58 that accompanied me in my days of owning a Tavern in Pittsburgh. ( 13yrs.)
That same duty revolver, finished off a wild feral hog...and also a Catalina/Angora (mixed mutt) Goat. Coup d' Grace shot 'em.
TC/Contender was the 1st shot, at over 50 yds. Both animals.

I still have it loaded, most days as one of my household home protectors. Looking as good as it did, in 1982, when I purchased it ( me, a very young man , then)

In a Gunfight... "Take your time, in a Hurry."
N.R.A......STAND and FIGHT
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 AM

Kick myself for trading away my 58 for a 57 about 82. Recently sold the 57 which I really liked but the 657 stainless Mt Gun is so much more practical from my uses, and seems to be smoother and more accurate.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are &#039;absolutes&#039; in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be &#039;absolutes.&#039;" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page