Fail to feed - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Default Fail to feed

I have a s&w SDVE40...I shot 100 rounds with no problems different ammo...Another session 100 or so rounds different ammo no problems...Last week I shot about 40 rounds remington fmj no problem then switched to federal hollow points . Out of 50 rounds 4 times bullet only went halfway in chamber . Finished off the rems. with no problem....I did shoot fast with both a couple times ...The feds. were steel casing...I am not familiar with pistols but seems to me the fed. bullets were the problem...Any opinions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 AM

I didn't know federal made steel cased handgun ammo.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:02 AM

I'm guessing nickel plated, not steel cased.

At any rate, your pistol is telling you it doesn't like that particular ammo for whatever reason. Try another brand or bullet weight of hollow points. If it has problems feeding with all or several brands of hollow points I would either get it fixed or sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks . Next time I shoot I'll have to write down when a malfunction happens with all the info. The bullets that hung up did go into the chamber but only about halfway .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Several things could cause what you describe. Always the possibility it could be something besides the ammo. Just a process of elimination of the variables.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Federal does make an Aluminum case variant. I am going to go with Spruce on this one, and say the most likely cause is the ammo, as your gun functioned fine with everything else. Not all guns are reliable with all factory ammo, that's why we test it before depending on a particular load for self defense or serious use.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM

You might check your chamber . If you have shot steel cased ammo fast you got the barrel hot. Steel cased ammo has a coating that will melt and coat the chamber. A wire brush will clean it out. If you shot all cases after they might have a tendency to drag more . Or you may have a rough chamber that the softer all cases drag on. That can be polished also. Just things to look at if ammo is not the obvious problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page