Smith & Wesson Model 41 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Default Smith & Wesson Model 41

Looking at the model 41. Probably the nicest .22LR SA pistol currently made in the US. Like the ability to swap between the 5.5 and 7” barrels with the sighting system staying on each barrel. I’d like to run optics but don’t appreciate the aesthetics of the Performance Center model with the rail and high, skeleton front sight. IMO, they don’t look “right”. The pics of the top on the S&W site are somewhat blurred so I couldn’t see if the current, normal style barrels are drilled and tapped for optics. Anyone know? Seeing a few posts talking to magazine fitment issues and their sensitivity to ammo. One reoccurring theme is they were purpose designed for CCI SV ammo. Some say this ammo is notorious for the high amount of lube / wax. Have a couple rifles that like SK pistol match so that’s what I’d like to shoot in a 41. Any experience out there with the new ones? Top D&T?

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:53 PM

my 41's aren't drilled and tapped, even though one is of the age when they started doing so.
Are they still? I don't know.
My cci standards are clean as far as I can tell, used to be some other brands that were waxed/lubed.
CCI has a rebate till the end of the month that makes a case or two very attractive to have coming your way.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM

I am pretty sure all new production 41 barrels are D&T for a scope mount. I used to own a 70's model 41, and it was a fine pistol. Much nicer polish and blueing than todays guns. I hear the new ones are just as accurate though, which is to say very. I eventually sold mine when I came across a HS Victor that I shot a little better. With the demise of HS, the model 41 is probably the best .22 semi pistol available, at least produced in this country. Older guns wore more quickly with HV ammo, but I don't know if that is the case with the modern version. Mine was always reliable with about any ammo, but did like CCI SV, and the old Winchester T-22 ammo. By its very nature, .22 rimfire ammo is dirty. A quick breach face scrub, a bore snake pass, and a few drops of lube, and yer good to go.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Goodshot and Larry. 10-4 with the new ones being D&T. Those older 41’s are indeed nice! I see a couple on GB, awful tempting but the asking prices are close to a new one with a warranty. The guys complaining about CCI SV were all rifle shooters using match chambers that seat the bullet into the rifling during chambering. Different application I guess. Looks like the best choice for a 41. Back in the day, I had good luck with T-22 in a Anschutz. The T-22 I have now, seems hotter then the old stuff? Shot some yesterday. Louder report and the POI was 3” higher then the other SV ammo at 100yds. Glad we have Al Gores amazing internet as it’s almost impossible to get good standard velocity .22 locally. Like the 41, removable barrel, excellent trigger, classic design with no plastic, just blued steel and walnut.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page