Smith & Wesson Model 41 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Default Smith & Wesson Model 41

Looking at the model 41. Probably the nicest .22LR SA pistol currently made in the US. Like the ability to swap between the 5.5 and 7” barrels with the sighting system staying on each barrel. I’d like to run optics but don’t appreciate the aesthetics of the Performance Center model with the rail and high, skeleton front sight. IMO, they don’t look “right”. The pics of the top on the S&W site are somewhat blurred so I couldn’t see if the current, normal style barrels are drilled and tapped for optics. Anyone know? Seeing a few posts talking to magazine fitment issues and their sensitivity to ammo. One reoccurring theme is they were purpose designed for CCI SV ammo. Some say this ammo is notorious for the high amount of lube / wax. Have a couple rifles that like SK pistol match so that’s what I’d like to shoot in a 41. Any experience out there with the new ones? Top D&T?

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:53 PM

my 41's aren't drilled and tapped, even though one is of the age when they started doing so.
Are they still? I don't know.
My cci standards are clean as far as I can tell, used to be some other brands that were waxed/lubed.
CCI has a rebate till the end of the month that makes a case or two very attractive to have coming your way.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM

I am pretty sure all new production 41 barrels are D&T for a scope mount. I used to own a 70's model 41, and it was a fine pistol. Much nicer polish and blueing than todays guns. I hear the new ones are just as accurate though, which is to say very. I eventually sold mine when I came across a HS Victor that I shot a little better. With the demise of HS, the model 41 is probably the best .22 semi pistol available, at least produced in this country. Older guns wore more quickly with HV ammo, but I don't know if that is the case with the modern version. Mine was always reliable with about any ammo, but did like CCI SV, and the old Winchester T-22 ammo. By its very nature, .22 rimfire ammo is dirty. A quick breach face scrub, a bore snake pass, and a few drops of lube, and yer good to go.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Goodshot and Larry. 10-4 with the new ones being D&T. Those older 41’s are indeed nice! I see a couple on GB, awful tempting but the asking prices are close to a new one with a warranty. The guys complaining about CCI SV were all rifle shooters using match chambers that seat the bullet into the rifling during chambering. Different application I guess. Looks like the best choice for a 41. Back in the day, I had good luck with T-22 in a Anschutz. The T-22 I have now, seems hotter then the old stuff? Shot some yesterday. Louder report and the POI was 3” higher then the other SV ammo at 100yds. Glad we have Al Gores amazing internet as it’s almost impossible to get good standard velocity .22 locally. Like the 41, removable barrel, excellent trigger, classic design with no plastic, just blued steel and walnut.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 PM

I don't think the Model-41 is made anymore. It was replaced with the 422 or something else that is not as good. I have a 41 I picked-up and love it. There is lots of info/help available on the official Smith & Wesson forum, as well as the 41 FB page.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

I bought my Model 41 (new) around 30 years ago and had a gunsmith mill a couple flat spots on top the barrel for bases for Kimber quick-detachable rings with a 2X Leupold scope. It can be used with either scope or the iron sights and the scope has always stayed sighted in after removal and replacement. I often read in magazines where they test a .22 pistol and get 1-inch groups at 25 yards and cal it accurate. My Model 41 has shot 1-inch 10-shot groups at 50 yards with Eley match ammo (and a rest). It would normally put 8 or 9 of 10 in a 1-inch groups at 50 yards with Winchester HS HP ammo. I did have problems with it jamming and misfiring but the same gunsmith who put the bases on it said the problem was with the newer Winchester ammo so he put a weaker mainspring in it and I switched to Eley subsonic hollow points and it now shoots without jams or misfires and might be a little more accurate than with Winchester high speed hollow points. Over the years it's shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits and a few prairie dogs and I would not consider selling it for twice its blue book price.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Good info, your machinist have a site or page?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:42 AM

I know this is an older thread but I use to have a model 41. Older one that had the flash suppressor and I could not get it to quit stove piping no matter what I did to it. I finally got so tired of it that I traded it off. Would not own another one unless it was a brand new one.

It took me several years but last week my LGS after a year finally found me one. I have it in my possession and it is a beautiful work of art. I have fallen in love with it and it is now my favorite pistol. I shot SK Match out of it the first three hundred rounds with out one hiccup. Bought a brick of Federal Match 1080 fps. heavy wax on these Federal and was consistently having failures to extract. Had to use a drop of oil to keep it running on the top round in the magazine. No more Federal Match for this guy. I have 10 22lr guns. I would rather shoot Federal Bulk pack out of all of my 22's, I like that I just have to pick up a box of ammo (don't have to remember to get a certain brand for a certain gun) a gun and go shoot. I shoot 500 or more rounds a week and SV ammo would break me or I just would not be able to shoot near as much as I like, so federal bulk it is. I have a 8 pound recoil spring coming (1/2 pound heavier than factory spring) and a recoil buffer. So after they arrive my Model 41 will be shooting Federal Bulk Pack. That will be more than accurate for my steel plates at 25 yards. I have my own range at 15 yards that consist of 13 steel plates ranging from 1" to 1' and 2 shooting trees with 6 4" plates each at 25 yards also. SV ammo has a harder time turning the shooting tree plates.

I have removed the right thumb rest on the factory grip and refinished the grip with a wax finish. Looks factory done. Put a Weaver #62 scope rail on the 7" barrel with a Vortex Venom on it, also have a scope that I can switch between the Venom and the scope. The scope rail allows you to use the front sights when nothing is on the scope rail. Really nice set up. an remove what ever is on the scope rail with a dime. Easy Peasy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page