S&w 16-4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Since I had originally intended on buying one of the new Colt Pythons for $1500 and seeing how they seem to have a few bugs that need to be worked out and people charging more than MSRP I decided to wait it out. In the mean time I had my mind made up that I was going to get a new gun and I couldn’t just let that money sit there. So I figured I should seek out one of the guns I have wanted for a long time. I had my eye on a Colt New Frontier .357 Magnum but I was too slow and it sold. Next on the list was this little gem A 4 inch barreled S&W 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum I am seriously considering having Hamilton Bowen lengthen the chambers to .327 Federal Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:13 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I love the partridge style front sight over the ramp any day. The dash 4s and early 5s are the cream of the crop in K and L frame guns in my opinion. That's a nice find!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Default S&w 16-4

I have always thought that the K Frame with a full lug 4 inch barrel is the most proportionally appealing of all the S&Ws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 PM

ahhh there's just SOMETHING about Smith revolvers....... beautiful! Fun caliber to shoot too.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:00 AM

I had a 6Ē one but itís a little heavy and bulky so I fineally sold it and made about a $600 profit. Then bought a ruger SP 101 in 327 federal with the profit.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

On a lot of forums guys are either Ruger fans or Smith & Wesson fans. Some act like it is sacrilegious to own one if you own the the other. My loyalties have never run that deep. I like them both. You too, apparently. I will take a Ruger or a Smith over a Colt Python any day. Back in the day the gang that hung out at Roses Gun Shop shot lots of ammo through our 357s. The Smiths had to have the screws staked or at least some thread locker applied but the 3 Pythons in the group all had issue as the round count got up around 20,000. Timing/cylinder lock up etc.. I just never could look at them the same after that experience.

My 686 no dash got sent back to S&W after I shot out the forcing cone and first 3/4 inches of rifling. I don't know the exact load count but Butch and I each molded, lube sized/w gas checks a 5 gallon bucket of bullets each during the winter months and then shot them all up over the course of the summer. We did that for at least 5 years straight and then it tapered off after I bought a house and started having kids. I plan to shoot a lot more after my fast approaching retirement. I wonder if my right hand can stand up to the kind of shooting that I used to do. I am not the man I once was and I don't think that reverses itself. That 32HR/327 thinking probably has good merit to it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:40 AM

I passed on a j frame in 32 special once for 400 bucks (about 15 years ago) One of my stupidest gun decisions. That's a cool gun there. Personaly id leave it alone. If you want a 327 buy a cheap ruger and keep that one as is. 20 years from now you will kick yourself in but for modifying it.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM

How is your hearing now after all that shooting with our 357.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 09:14 AM

The pictured gun is beautiful lucky find. I traded off an I frame 32 years ago . The 327 is ok I have the SP101 and it was nice when 22s dried up.i could order boxes of 500 bullets even then and load 32 spl for fun shooting.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM

In mid 1990s, a friend stopped by the house one night with 2 new 32 H&R S&Ws
Said he just bought them both from a dealer going out of business and he could not take both home. One was a j frame and the other was a 16-4. New in box, 6in, 3Ts, combat grips. Said I had to buy one of them. Price was $150 dollars. I took the 16-4. Fast forward 20 years. I took new wife to the gun range. She could not miss the bullseye with it and quickly claimed it as her own. I still sneak it out sometimes... The best handgun I own!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page