Unsucsessful moose hunt this year. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Default Unsucsessful moose hunt this year.

After incredible luck last year I'm skunked this year and kinda glad.
An adventurous moose hunt to a new place. In a tidal slough. No moose or fresh sign seen but slimy gooey slippery mud, mud, mud, mud and more mud. Mud on nearly everything and everywhere. Sucked our boots off.
When we heard the weather forecast of hard rain and gusts to 50, we decided to take down our tent which was on ridge. We got close to the bay hoping to camp in a sheltered area. But we realized the slough banks were too steep to tie our boats (18 footers) without risking rolling or swamping when the tide came back in. (our tides were 15 to 18 feet highs and 1.2 to 6 ft at low) We tied together side by side and anchored in the middle of the slough. Hunkered in my buddy's big skiff which is a heavy wide skiff with good canopy. A phenominally good canopy!
Kudos to Carol McMurray's boat canopy making - she did a wonderful job.
I think we anchored out for close to 18 hours and slept very fitfully until 7:30 this morning in a 7x8 cramped space - and mudy - my buddy is 6'5"! It rained so hard it roared. It blew so hard it whistled howled and the boats slewed around vigorously bouncing but all things held solid and we stayed dry and mostly warm - THANK God!! We spent a lot of time peering into the dark for landmarks to be sure we weren't dragging anchor. We fired up a little gas heater for about 10 min 4 times to warm us a bit.
But now I'm land-sick, I'm bobbing and lurching all over as I sit here. Feel like I just spent a week on the Bering Sea. Had to grab the wall when I closed my eyes in the shower.
This morning rain quit as wind switched from SE to SW and dropped down to under 20. We timed our return just after low slack and rode the breeze and tide back to town while it was dry. There was an easy chop and no more excitement. A very nice ending.
Well -----chalk that hunt idea up to an experience that doesn't need repeating.
Feeling fortunate we weren't trying to care for a pile of moose meat through the adventure.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM

Glad you made it back safe and sound.

Those are the kind of hunts you never forget! You and your buddy will be talking about that one for a long time.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Gun Cabinet

What Spruce said!

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 PM

It may have been an unsuccessful moose hunt but did you have any FUN?
Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Anduril, well yes we had some fun, saw some new country and "fixed" a couple world problems while on anchor. Now if everybody would do it our way things would be better. ha ha.

Still cogitating on a way to beat that mud and tide so we could enjoy the beautiful uplands.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 PM

dand
Well, ya' can't beat fun for a good time!

(I'm trying to get my post count up)
Old 10-15-2019, 02:09 AM

Your experience on this go-round is why I do not hunt. I had a big gun that would do the job on anything roaming around Alaska, but gave it away...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in