South Dakota - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM

Sorry for you troubles brother.

I always wondered what one would do if the exotic had troubles out there.

I sat 14 hours waiting on a tire repair in ND once. Moral of the story, don’t break down on Sunday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM

Your old Suburban sounds better to me.

My old Tahoe just went over 200,000 and is still running great. Just replaced all the hoses and belts. Been all over the lower 48. Never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

My wife drives a german car.

We now rent a new Chevy SUV when we take long road trips. I dont like driving her car. Makes me feel cramped and I can't figure out all the controls with my far sighted vision. Can't even tell what speed I'm going. Not a problem with my Chevy controls. They just make more sense to me.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Controls...

I'm very comfortable with the Ford layout. It took me nearly 6 months to get onto Nissan idea of where things belonged. Went back to my Fords and about a week we were all peas and carrots again.

I'm not sure one or the other is correct. Just a lot more time in a Ford. I have the same feelings about Freightliner vs all others. I'm willing to accept another maker may be better, I'm just comfortable in what I'm familiar with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM

Sorry about the vehicle troubles, a real pain no doubt.

We were in SD in mid June, had the best PD shoot EVER. We had dogs galore, yes we were on a ‘reservation’. No adverse issues.

I will pass a secret, ‘Google Earth’. Once zoomed in one can easily see the bare spots around the PD holes and mounds. The GE images and then reality once at the location were always accurate for us. One spot we walked 1.8 miles in to get to my favorite honey hole.

The plan is to go back next June, after I reload all the cases.

NRA, Veteran
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Sorry to hear that misfortune stalked you..hope your next trip makes up for this bummer.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Man...when a guy gets all hyped up to go on a dream trip and then the wheels fall off it tends to let the wind out of your sails. At least you have that one behind you!

I used to go out to the Rosebud Indian Reservation every spring. There was a young preacher at the Mission Church in St Francis who just so happened to show up at the same prairie dog town that we were at. He was a nice fella so he joined us. He only had a 22 magnum but was doing pretty well with it. He ended up taking us all over the reservation to PD towns that we didn't know about. Best PD shoot that we ever had. At the end of our stay I handed the young preacher my Remington 700 ADL 223 and a can of ammo and told him it was his for his guide service. If I knew that he was going to hug me for 15 minutes I probably wouldn't have given it to him...ok maybe it was 15 seconds but you get the idea. He took us on another good hunt the following year and corresponded some. Then the third year it was like he disappeared off the face of the earth. Who knows, maybe he did? That little corner of the world had it's own rules to a degree back then and maybe still does.

I can't imagine having a car break down in the badlands or in the sandhill region of Nebraska. You could go unnoticed for a day or so!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
Man...when a guy gets all hyped up to go on a dream trip and then the wheels fall off it tends to let the wind out of your sails. At least you have that one behind you!

I used to go out to the Rosebud Indian Reservation every spring. There was a young preacher at the Mission Church in St Francis who just so happened to show up at the same prairie dog town that we were at. He was a nice fella so he joined us. He only had a 22 magnum but was doing pretty well with it. He ended up taking us all over the reservation to PD towns that we didn't know about. Best PD shoot that we ever had. At the end of our stay I handed the young preacher my Remington 700 ADL 223 and a can of ammo and told him it was his for his guide service. If I knew that he was going to hug me for 15 minutes I probably wouldn't have given it to him...ok maybe it was 15 seconds but you get the idea. He took us on another good hunt the following year and corresponded some. Then the third year it was like he disappeared off the face of the earth. Who knows, maybe he did? That little corner of the world had it's own rules to a degree back then and maybe still does.

I can't imagine having a car break down in the badlands or in the sandhill region of Nebraska. You could go unnoticed for a day or so!

Yes GPA, the reservations do still operate on a somewhat different set of rules, mostly, if you know what the Ps andQs are you will be fine. And yeah at places being stranded in the sandhills can be rather disconcerting if youre not used to that kind of wide open. I grew up in it, so for me being stranded in moles and miles of woods would be disconcerting. Lol
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillbilly View Post
Yes GPA, the reservations do still operate on a somewhat different set of rules, mostly, if you know what the Ps andQs are you will be fine. And yeah at places being stranded in the sandhills can be rather disconcerting if youre not used to that kind of wide open. I grew up in it, so for me being stranded in moles and miles of woods would be disconcerting. Lol

Grew up in the Illinois corn fields. I still find it a bit disconcerting hunting in mountain or woods. I like the horizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page