Walmart unveils store construction plans for six states - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Walmart unveils store construction plans for six states

stop enought of this Monopoly game of the system, how did walmart become the matrix system anyway crushing all others mom and pop stores of the past?
https://www.supermarketnews.com/stor...ans-six-states
Quote:
Walmart said it plans to build new stores in Florida and California and remodel a total of 157 stores in those states plus Texas, Arizona, Indiana and Pennsylvania. The projects include the retailer’s discount store, Supercenter and Neighborhood Market formats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:54 PM

A lot of people badmouth Walmart, but it's nothing more than a capitalistic American success story. It started as nothing more than a mom and pop establishment ran by a man with a vision and ambition.

Why is it so successful? It has what people want - selection and comparatively low prices. And did I mention convenience!

Some don't remember the "good old days" when you went to one store for groceries, one for clothes, one for electronics, one for tools, one for kitchen ware, one for bicycles, one for guns, ammo, and sporting goods, etc, etc. And a half day could easily be spent driving around from store to store.

And now places like Amazon are giving Walmart a run for it's money by offering the convenience of to your door fast, free shipping. Times change, and to survive retailers have to change too!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:14 PM

From Spruce:
Quote:
Why is it so successful? It has what people want - selection and comparatively low prices. And did I mention convenience!
Guess it seems to work. I consider WM to be the MOST inconvenient store I have ever shopped in. No help, long checkout waits, selection only fair to good if you shop for what you want and it is considered in season by WM. Otherwise try to find winter clothing in late winter for example, not there. Yes, Amazon has a much better selection year around and is much more convenient.
GuzziJohn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I hear what you're saying Guzzi. Walmart's definitely not perfect! If you go there looking for a high-tech Goretex winter coat, no matter the season, you won't find it! But if you need a pack of Fruit of the Looms or a pack of cheap everyday cotton socks they got you covered.

In the local one here they recently put in a bunch of self checkout lanes and cut back on lanes with cashiers working, so it was about a zero gain/loss on checkout times unless you use the self lanes which are faster.

If you think it's hard to find someone to help you in Walmart you should go to our local Home Depot!! I don't know if they're all like that, but the one here is BAD.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to justonemorear

In there the other day looking for something not important and actually found a working in the area. Right off it was made clear that they don't normally work in the dept. Asked for the items that I found earlier on the website, show available in-stock at this store. We looked for about 10mins and could not find the items or where it is stocked(wish the site gave that info)
The worker then immediately went to the website and said I could order it and have it sent to the store, no charge.
I said if I did that as well as everyone walking thru the door, Walmart would not need them.
Spent another 10mins milling around the sporting good area when I was approached by a worker who was the assistant manger for the store. Proceeded to tell him the tale. I could tell he was pissed. Walked me right to the place w/ the items I wanted.
Guess you get what you pay for and they are hiring( offered a job but passed)
Go figure

When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM

DG is sure giving Walmart a run for its money. Putting those little stores in outlying little rural communities.
So folks don't have to drive through a big city to get what they want.
That and the Pilot, they make really good food there. They are always packed.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-13-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:20 PM

yes, we see them filling a niche.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
yes, we see them filling a niche.
Yes they are. A little community store. Where you know everybody. Just like it used to be.
Post office is like that also.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-13-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:51 PM

That's one area where Walmart hasn't been able to compete - small communities with no larger cities within a short drive. It's one of the reasons Walmart is getting more heavily into online sales.

Argent - what's DG?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Back in the day when the big three chain stores used commission sales people (full timers anyway), at least you could get knowlegable help quickly the vast majority of the time.
I worked auto parts/tire sales in the early 80s a couple of years for Wards. I wasn't all that great a salesman but I made more money than I had been teaching at that time. Wasn't a perfect system but I thought it worked fairly well.
We also had a lot of leeway ordering goods so you could stock what your community wanted and needed. Bad news concerning Wards at that time was they started going the "cost cutting" route eliminating commission sales and hiring minimum wage folk and fewer of them, screwing up inventory, etc. They lasted what, less than 10 years or so after that?
GuzziJohn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page