Millennials not having children. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Default Millennials not having children.

Yes; many couples choose to not have children...

https://www.today.com/health/why-are...d-free-t155804

Of course, it is their choice, and they are welcome to it ! .But I am a grandpa who is here to tell them..'you will regret it"!

I believe that for many, it is a reflection of their spoiled, self-centeredness..but if I had the opportunity I would like to warn them.

Being childless now, may seem like a great, unrestricted adventure, but there will come a time when you will wish there were some descendants around

to share your happiness.

I so look forward to seeing my grandchildren and great grandchildren.. I like to root for them in their sports and share their accomplishments.

I take pride in my brave grandson, who faced down the Islamic killers in Iraq..I root for my 7 year old great grandson when he plays soccer or football.

I am sure that my life right now, would be virtually lifeless without my progeny around me..

Are there any parents or grandparents here who will second me on that ?

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 09-09-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add a link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 PM

My children are the best part of my life. What a gift...
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Yes IG, Friday evening is burger night at PawPaws and Nannis house. Sure is great to have 2 daughters and one grandson close again. The third daughter is 6 hours away in Atlanta area, about 6 hours away. But their son just started college in the ministerial program at Lee university in Cleveland, Tenn.

Granddaughter is the Alaska holdout. Wife and youngest daughter are flying up for a visit Friday. But since I’m recovering from another skin cancer surgery I’m not going. So the oldest daughter is taking care of my while the wife is gone. Yeah it’s great to have family nearby again after 32 years on the mission field.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 AM

The majority of women having kids are millennials. However, as a group, fewer are having kids than boomers did at the same age. A lot of this has to do with changed expectations. Fifty years ago women were expected to have kids. That's not true anymore. The general attitude toward having kids has changed.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
The majority of women having kids are millennials. However, as a group, fewer are having kids than boomers did at the same age. A lot of this has to do with changed expectations. Fifty years ago women were expected to have kids. That's not true anymore. The general attitude toward having kids has changed.
I would expect that the majority of women having children are millennials, since they are at the peak of their child bearing years.

My note was one of caution, since for myself, and I am sure for others, if I didn't have children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, my life at this stage,

would hardly be worth living !

They ought to think it over carefully, before it is too late. Besides, if we have plenty of American born, there will be less excuse for importing aliens!

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM

You May not be in a majority for your generation. I dread the idea of grandchildren and want nothing to do with them. There are lots of seniors who want no presence of any children whatsoever, and lots of senior communities that severely restrict the presence of kids. Despite it being illegal to discriminate, a lot of condos and apartments make it difficult for people with kids to qualify.

My kids are millennials and they want nothing to do with kids. Who can blame them?
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

As I said..that is anyone's right, not to have children, but if I didn't have same, I would be miserable..

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
You May not be in a majority for your generation. I dread the idea of grandchildren and want nothing to do with them. There are lots of seniors who want no presence of any children whatsoever, and lots of senior communities that severely restrict the presence of kids. Despite it being illegal to discriminate, a lot of condos and apartments make it difficult for people with kids to qualify.

My kids are millennials and they want nothing to do with kids. Who can blame them?
When your kids put you in a rest home who will come visit you Conan?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
When your kids put you in a rest home who will come visit you Conan?
I go to "rest" homes all the time. With few exceptions, kids almost never come to visit the inmates. The successful old timers are the ones that build a good network of people who actually do them some good. Siblings are the ones that seem to do people the most good, up to a point. After that point, they die or become too infirm themselves. The kids very often do manage the money. Very often with a good deal of selfishness. That's the reality.

Kids effectively murdering their parents by having the meds adjusted so that the parents can't function mentally is very common. The senior is kept in a vegetative state, unable to handle finances or any decisions for years. It's very very common, and the laws favor the perps. That's what elder law is. It's not about protecting the elderly, it's about distributing the estates of the elderly and making sure that the lawyers get their cut.

Another angle: Why be so selfish as to expect your children to come visit you regularly? They have their own lives and concerns. Even the most enthusiastic adult child doesn't want much to do with their parents unless the parents are providing a free service like day care. Once institutionalized the parents become a severe burden. The only alternative is to be of a culture, like the Hmong, where it is traditional and customary for the elderly to live with one of the children, such as the family of the youngest son. Rural Ireland is similar, and there are economical elder daycare services that pickup and return the senior to home, where they live with their kids, but are cared for while their kids are working. We're expensive and barbarous in many ways in this country.

The most enthusiastic family I know of has three daughters that regularly see one of the elders. That amounts to about one to two hours on one weekday per week, and about five hours on most Sundays. That's about 4 percent of the week. Not much.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 09-09-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM

It's hard for me to understand someone that wants nothing to do with kids. My life would be very boring without the grandkids and great grandkids. I will concede that it's anyone's right to feel that way. I just can't really get a handle on why.

I figure, considering the work habits of a lot of millenials, that they are just too lazy to make the effort required in raising children.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page