Rush drummer Neil Peart dead at age 67 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Default Rush drummer Neil Peart dead at age 67

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/neal-pe...er-2020-01-10/

Neil Peart, the longtime drummer and lyricist of the band Rush, has died at age 67. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer died in Santa Monica, California, on January 7 after battling brain cancer, CBS Los Angeles confirmed.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 PM

Gun Cabinet

The guy was an absolutely amazing drummer. I've enjoyed their music since the early 80's. I believe that early on they were fans of Ayn Rand and a libertarian influence can be seen in their music. I'm not sure if that is true but their lyrics are definitely more conservative than most rockers. Witch Hunt from Moving Pictures is very appropriate for all eras.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:52 AM
TM7

Sorry to hear this. Neil was an extraordinary drummer and an inspiration to many young musicians.
.TM7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:03 AM

I don't think I've heard of that band. My favorite pop drummer was Carl Palmer.

Do you have good examples of Peart playing?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Here is one of his solos.
One of the greatest drummer ever and a great writer of several books. Had a masters in lit.
I can really relate to his book "Ghost Rider". It is about traveling about 60,000 miles on his BMW motorcycle for two years after the deaths of his daughter and wife within a nine month period. The book came out a couple of years after the unexpected death of my first wife.
He took is drumming very, very seriously.
GuzziJohn
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Very good, but solos aren't what make a drummer great. I consider ringo Starr to be one of the greats because he always served the song. Not flashy, but if you listen to him, the songs are always made better by his contribution to it.

For example, here's the isolated bass and drums for the song Rain

Here's the whole tune

I'm not a Beatles fan today, but they really did have it together musically and Starr is the most underrated of drummers.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 01-11-2020 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Anyway, back to Rush, what made peart a great drummer?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
Anyway, back to Rush, what made peart a great drummer?
He was an incredibly technical drummer. He could play in any odd time signature and switch time signatures so well that the average listener didn't even know there was a time signature change. I'm surprised you know who Carl Palmer is but you don't know who Neil Peart is. Rush was heavily influenced by prog bands like Yes and ELP. He was one of the few drummers who could actually justify having a large drum kit. He incorporated all kinds of percussion into the songs as well which always made things interesting.

On top of being a great drummer he was an amazing lyricist. Like littlecanoe mentioned he was an Ayn Rand devotee so the lyrics in the early days were very much influenced by her. He even wrote a song called "Anthem" dedicated to the genius of Ayn Rand. His political beliefs were very libertarian and against collectivism. Because of that the music press HATED Rush, especially in the early days. They even went so far as to call them Nazis despite the fact that bass player Geddy Lee was the son of Holocaust survivors.

Rush was a a rarity in Rock music, they were family men. They didn't party with groupies, they went back to their hotel rooms after shows and watched TV. The bands they toured with thought that they were weird. They have sometimes been called "nerd rock". Rush is one of the few bands where the drummer and bass player get more attention than the guitarist.

I don't think I would've ever become a bass player had it not been for Rush. I actually tried to be a drummer first because of Neil Peart. I didn't have what it takes to be a drummer so I switched to bass. Luckily my 17 year old son is a phenomenal drummer so I get to live vicariously through him. My son told me his music teacher announced the death of Neil Peart to his music class. They even had a moment of silence for him at school. That's how influential Neil Peart is, teenage drummers of today even know who he is.

Here's a few songs that show off his abilities (all of their songs are very difficult to play, even the more popish ones). You'll love the lyrics to Anthem, they're the antithesis of modern day Democrats:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+anthem+lyrics

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:36 PM

He was also a very physical drummer. He hit hard almost every time but still able to make each note distinctive. He has said that a great drummer cannot be into drugs and/or booze and be able to stay in could enough shape to be great. If you observe his style and think about physically doing that throughout a two hour concert, it would be exhausting.
GuzziJohn
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM
TM7

Neil's wife was taken by cancer, then a few month's later his daughter senselessly killed by impaired DUI driver.
.TM7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page