Graybeard Outdoors banner

Garden progress

8K views 88 replies 15 participants last post by  longwinters 
#1 ·
We've been pretty well socked in with the wet weather since Monday. The garden is about 1/2 in - wish we were farther along, but still making better progress than the two previous years. Everything that's been planted is up and looking pretty good, so far. Still need to get tomatoes and peppers transplanted and some melons and squash in the ground. How's everyone else doing?

#27 ·
Larry said:
but you can also use too much of it- it's hot!
yes sir! ! it is
it works good as a manure tea for the maters.
but you have to be careful so the plant won't
shoot upwards and poke you in the eye while
you're bent over.

#28 ·
Well, a week and a half ago it was snowing here. This week it is in the 70's - 80's and I'm planting. It will probably freeze around June 10 with the full moon, but I will cover things up. Everything I grow except the peppers are in and they will be going in tomorrow night. One good thing is that our asparagus is up. We are eating it every other day and now will be giving some away to friends.

Anyone ever can or freeze asparagus?

Long

#29 ·
I managed to get tomatoes in last week, but we got hit with another inch of rain. My peppers are ready to go in, but its too wet to get out and transplant them without making a mess. I'm also still waiting on a chance to get squash, melons, cukes, and pumpkins in. I was hoping to have everything in before June, but it is what it is.

#30 ·
had my first onion of the year in a salad.
had one bite of my first pepper (unaltered jalapeno)
and it was kinda stout :p
called the rest of my ferry-morse tomatoes a wash
and made a row for some burpee tomatoes. they
sprouted in 10 days. go figure. the initial tomatoes
that made it all have tomatoes anywhere from
golfball + sized to thumbnail sized.
really looking forward to those fresh ones.

longwinters
my granny used to grow asparagus in her
little rows, and put any surplus in the freezer,
but strictly short term. it wasn't there long
enough to be called "stored" before it was used.
i'm sure it's simple enough to put up in jars and such.

good luck everyone

#31 ·
Looks like most of my vegies will be in containers this year , between getting the landscaping at the new house done and the soil being mostly clay , I'll need the rest of this year to just get a plot ready for next spring , yet I may just bite the bullet and build some raised beds & bring in a truck load of good top soil for a couple years , then pull the frames and then plow it under to help deal with the " Brick Mix " that I have now .

My biggest issue is trees , shade every were and only about a 30' x 50' spot that would get enough sun for a real garden .

stimpy

#32 ·
nothing wrong with containers if
that's what you have. half or more
of mine right now is containers.
sounds like you need to make friends
with someone with a small dozer
and run the scarifiers over your plot
and scoop out a good 18" at least
so the hard stuff can be mixed with some
good loose humus and sand at a later
time. aren't you still recuperating from
some pretty serious medical stuff?
you'd best go light on the rough
yard work and try a few containers for now.
good luck

#33 ·
After how bad the deer decimated my garden last year namely my strawberry plants, I decided not to plant this year. I was over at Lowes in the garden center getting some herbicide for the driveway and I found some deer repellent. There was 6 pods in a pack of 6 for 20 bucks and at first I thought they were too expensive to bother trying but I gave in and bought a pack.

I put one repellant pod in each container with strawberry plants , not that there's much left of them. The last 2 pods went on either side of my 3 blue berry plants. It's been raining off and on a lot this spring so I didn't get around to checking the plants today but the the strawberries and blue berries all look unmolested. I may return to gardening next year... This year I plan to put in 3 more blue berry plants but no other gardening...

Tony

#34 ·
just brought in my first
two maters! ! ! !
;D ;D ;D

#35 ·
Just brought in a bushel of spinach and replanted more before the rain hit yesterday.
Wont have tomatoes or peppers for at least a month!

#36 ·
My garden is still way behind. My tomatoes are full of blossoms, so it'll be nice to see them start swelling up soon. The only thing I've harvested, so far, is some leaf lettuce and some spinach. The weather has been a bit odd and quite unpredictable here. I'm just now getting around to planting some squash and melons (which should be the last thing I plant). I just hope they have time to mature before we start getting frosted this fall.

#37 ·
I've have my gardens all planted now, here's the front garden, You can only see the row and a half of garlic in this pict., but there's also tomatoes, grn bean, sweet corn, and others in there too, or will be when the seed that I planted gets taller...

I only fence THIS garden, as it's the garden I plant in, all the things rabbits like to eat. The fence is easily put up and taken down, as it's made of 16' hog panels with chicken wire zip tied to the bottom 2'. I use loose zip ties on the hog panel so I can easily slip the 1" conduit through them and hammer the conduit into the ground. I have 8' gates in the front and back for easy access... It really works GREAT and was a one time expense, that will last me the rest of my life.

Anyway, now it's time to start cutting mulch and get those plants "mulched" in!

DM

#38 ·
Tomatoes all look good and blooming. Green beans, squash and cucumbers planted 2 1/2 weeks ago, 3 bean plants sprouted, no squash or cukes. I'm not replanting, getting disgusted. We count on the winter squash for food, 2nd year in a row I've had trouble with them coming up. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

#39 ·
sorry to hear about the squash. i dearly
love squash, but after the last few disappointing
years i didn't even buy any seed. i may be way
off base, but i think something's been wrong
with a lot of the seed sold the last few years.
i don't know what. all the hybridizing, the genetic
manipulation, i don't know. i'll be glad when yall
get some good fresh maters in. i've been enjoying
fresh maters at every meal. i've already had that
first good grilled cheese with marinated maters
and onions ;D ;) ;D sho was good ! ! !
i was going to post about that, and i had thought
i'd put in the recipe section, but didn't see it.
it may have went away with the server cat-tas-trophy.

good luck to all yall with your gardens

#40 ·
longwinters
I haven't personally canned asparagus but I've seen it at some Amish stores. I believe it was pickled. Don't know if that would work for you but it doesn't sound bad. I would think you could can it without the picking if you want.

#41 ·
it didn't dawn on me until a while ago
when i brought in some maters that
i've been very lucky and not had any
bird-pecked maters this year.
something has been wearing out the
experimental greens though. i guess
i'll have to use some poison after all :'(

#42 ·
Well I planted everything over Memorial Wknd. Today I saw my 1st little green mater. Lots of buds on the peppers, broccoli is starting to get heads and everything else is up except the carrots and green beans. I've replanted them both 3 times. Not sure what is going on as I have always had real good success with the green beans but something has to be up. I guess I just wait and hope they kick in soon.

Long

#43 ·
well good luck.

if i don't eat 'em all, or the
sun doesn't pre-cook all of
'em, i may actually have enough
maters to put up a few jars
this year. i've been considering
just growing some kind of cherry tomato
next year and forgoing trying
to get any large sized tomatoes.
i like em fresh, and it seems (to me)
like the small ones are tastier
fresh.

#44 ·
i've been very blessed with my maters this year.
i have 30 in the house and over 100 on my vines
right now. my experimental greens haven't done
very well. the okra is looking good, and the peppers
are outstanding. i planted a couple of jalepeno
plants to have for cooking, but they turned out way
too hot, more like a thai pepper. :p

i'm very thankful for this good rain we're having right now.

#45 ·
Quite a few baby tomatoes, I DID replant the butternuts and buttercups last week. No summer squash, I gave up on cucumbers. Terribly dry here. We are getting a small shower but radar shows it won't last long. Radishes and onions are really stressed. Been really dry for this early in the growing season. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

#46 ·
powderman said:
Terribly dry here. We are getting a small shower but radar shows it won't last long. Been really dry for this early in the growing season. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:
sorry to hear of that. i water with a hose when it needs
it, but nothing seems to do the job like a good rain shower.
maybe your luck will turn around. parts of west texas that
traditionally don't get much of any kind of rain are getting
several year's worth this go round.

#47 ·
Today I got lucky and bought a 148 gallon stock watering tank for $30 delivered. I'll put it under a makeshift gutter on the woodshed. We got about 4/10 in the other day. With that tank and 4 bbls I'm hoping I don't have to haul water from the pond this year. Still no squash up. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

#48 ·
i had one like that under the drip line of the
shed roof at the outpost to collect rainwater
for non-potable use and such. this last
trip i'd noticed i'd forgot about mosquitos,
and it was plumb full. i drained it and i'll
have to either screen it or get some more
of those donuts like i use here.
something to consider.

fwiw, i talked to some friends closer to houston,
and their neighbors and them aren't having
any squash luck either. i still think it's the
blankety- blank seed that we're being sold.

#49 ·
RANGER. I use those donuts too, it only takes 1/4 of one for a 55 gal bbl. Tomatoes have plenty of water but show stress from the 90s heat. Several plants show blight, very early for that. Still no rain. POWDERMAN. :eek: :eek:

#50 ·
well, the heat is kicking my butt now.
most everything kinda wilty from the
high 90's-100's we've got. the unseasonable
rain has really kept everything nicer longer
than i expected. the bargain flowers and
onions i'd bought on clearance are doing better
than the ones i'd paid regular price for. :-\
i was really thankful for those great fresh tomatoes
again this year. i ate 'em like a kid with candy, and
had enough to put up a few and share with
friends and family. maybe everything will hang on
'till fall and get a few more. my experimental
greens never really did good. onions and maters
galore. okra still making but pods are not as good.
i hope everyone else did good for their self.

#51 ·
i need to get the hoe out and do
about an hour's worth of hard work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.