Garden progress - Page 9 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:56 PM

With the sub-average days seemingly now gone, and continued damp but not nasty wet, the volunteer veggies are popping out in my North garden.
I will have to decide if I want to save the volunteer tomatoes and squash vines that are emerging.
With the warmer weather they get larger quickly and annoyingly are not coming up in the fairly empty part of the garden but the most heavily planted.
The tomatoes are coming up on the side of the garden they were not in last year so I assume the roto-tiller dragged the seeds over there.
Other volunteer veggies, lettuce, mustard, and other leafy greens are also coming up and I am not sure how they got their.

Potatoes are now popping out of the heavy leaf mulch I put down and my replant of one sweet corn looks to be very successful.
Onions look very good and since I plant them on a berm now, my onion growing has improved 100 percent.
Tomatoes look good but plants are still small (short) but I am removing lower branches any way as that helps keep disease off of them longer.
I got Green Zebra from a Northern grower and Piedmont down South; both ,the latter were replacements for failed first shipment, are growing well but they look different in style.
North, wide bushy, South, tall fewer branches, still, both are looking good.

I will head to my South garden tomorrow and see how that is doing.
I had to replant all the corn, and put in some squash seeds.
I bought a larger potted squash plant/s I will take down there in case the seed did not germinate and if the corn failed again, to fill the empty space with vines.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
With the sub-average days seemingly now gone, and continued damp but not nasty wet, the volunteer veggies are popping out in my North garden.
I will have to decide if I want to save the volunteer tomatoes and squash vines that are emerging. . .
The tomatoes are coming up on the side of the garden they were not in last year so I assume the roto-tiller dragged the seeds over there.
Other volunteer veggies, lettuce, mustard, and other leafy greens are also coming up and I am not sure how they got there. . .
i'd sure save any good looking volunteer vegetable plants and let them flourish.
to me, that just shows how hardy they are and "survival of the fittest" and suitability
for your soil and all that.
i'd make sure i saved some seed from every one.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:30 PM

I arrived down home to find my corn plots a total failure, a second time, BUT this time it seems due to all the little craters in a row, the squirrels are at least partly to blame which in an odd way makes me feel better as I was going crazy with losing corn on the East side of garden every other year as weeds grew fine there so bad soil and or seed, brand new seed from three places this year, just did not make sense.
Next year I will put Cocoa Bean hulls over the area after I plant as that will screw up their noses.

As is I put in two squash and one tomato I dug out of the North garden plus a squash I bought at Fleet Farm.
I think I will take at least two more volunteers out of the North garden and put them in the empty space down South.

Potatoes appear to be doing very well in both gardens. Not all have popped out of the leaf mulch yet, but as I have so many, that does not bother me as as usual.

Potatoes I put in the rose garden where there was an empty space are looking real , real good as that soil has been amended over the years will all the good stuff available.
Next year roses go back in but why waste empty space.

I rarely roto-till any part more than once but this year several areas were done three times; this seems to do a lot to put the hurt on weeds.
They were still there but even with the rain keeping the soil moist, not the nasty number I often have pop up.
Purslane never goes away but this did allow me to bet the upper hand on Quick Weed which I sadly put in the garden when I brought some sandy soil from up North down .
I never had Nut Grass down South, ever, either till I bought cheap sod up North and put it in the lawn tossing cutting in the garden.
Sod was full of Nut Grass.
You get what you pay for as the sod died after two years leaving me the Nut Grass as a token.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:52 PM

My tomatoes are doing good, but it looks like something ate all the leaves off my pepper plants. Can't see any bugs, and I'd think squirrels and rabbits would take some tomatoes and cucumbers too. I need to spray, it's got to be bugs.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Our tomatoes have done well so far and we're having to give away some to the neighbors. Finally made a stand of okra and black eyed peas and the yellow plants are looking good but nothing harvested yet. Got a real late start on planting the okra, peas and squash.

wtxbadger
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I arrived down home to find my corn plots a total failure, a second time, BUT this time it seems due to all the little craters in a row, the squirrels are at least partly to blame which in an odd way makes me feel better as I was going crazy with losing corn on the East side of garden every other year as weeds grew fine there so bad soil and or seed, brand new seed from three places this year, just did not make sense.
Next year I will put Cocoa Bean hulls over the area after I plant as that will screw up their noses. . . . . .

Sod was full of Nut Grass.
You get what you pay for as the sod died after two years leaving me the Nut Grass as a token.
get some poison peanuts as for gophers or some traps. if it got to the point
your vegetables were an important part of your diet and you needed every
thing you could grow to sustain you, the varmints would be killing you in a
roundabout way. kill 'em back

some years ago when i first bought my place, i let a man graze some cattle
and he brought in some cheap hay that was full of grass burrs, so now a
good part of my once decent hay and pasture has grass burrs in spots.
i've been working on it with spray and hope to get it back in shape.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Gun Cabinet

my little garden spot has been disappointing this year.
i haven't made near the tomatoes i've made in the past,
and the beans haven't made what they did last year.
strange weather we've had here has messed things up

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM

Last year was a bad year for us with tomatoes. Couldn't have grown a decent tomato to save my life. Had the same problem with okra but our corn did really well for some reason.

Getting fairly dry and hot now and having to water pretty much every day.

wtxbadger
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Yeh it’s been tough up here too. Spring was 40-50 degrees then in late June went to lots of 80+ days. So spring too cold and summer to hot, too fast so the plants and seeds went from cold dormant to hot dormant since 85 degrees and hotter are nt good for getting blossoms. This is why when you have a good year you freeze and can all you can to help out during the lean years.

Long

Life is short......eternity is long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page