Graybeard Outdoors banner

Garden posts few and far between

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  longwinters 
#1 ·
I have noticed the garden section is all but dead.
There were 10 threads in 2017, 17 in 2016 and 23 in 2015.
There have only been two really busy threads with one in 2016 and the other in 2014.
Surprising.:tango_face_surprise

#2 ·
It really never had much life. After the moderator on it quit both moderating and posting here it has gotten even slower. Might not be many folks here who garden. I've planted a few tomato and pepper plants in large pots this year. Not much of a garden but all I've got.

#3 ·
I think it's a trend not just here but across the country also. Most people I run into at the local nursery and big box stores do some container gardening or maybe a real small plot next to their house but that's about it. Several of our neighbors used to have fairly large gardens but as they got older they started to scale back because of the amount of time and effort it took to keep their garden going and some eventually quit altogether due to health reasons.
About the only younger people I know of that have good sized gardens are two of my kiddos but they were raised where we always had a vegetable garden and put back as much as possible aside from what we ate. From what they have told me their friends are always amazed that they actually raise stuff to eat and don't just buy all of their veggies from the store.

#4 · (Edited)
mine was kind of a flop this year, got busy with other "stuff", did plant delicious and cortland apples, several plums, a peach, two honey berry bushes.
Tomatoes are doing well.
The mother of a friend of mine passed on, when talking with him at the service he said he recalled mostly working in the garden and fishing from his youth, it was during the depression, nobody had any money and those kids needed fed, it kept the kids busy and fed to have a garden and a root cellar or cave, Also one of the criteria for getting a farm
from the Farmers Home administration was having a pressure canner.
Must be getting unknown as "canner" is unknown to spell check! ha!

#5 ·
Bob, why not approach GB about the mod position and start posting interesting topics.
I enjoy gardening talk.

#7 ·
not much from me to post.
it was cool here too long, then we had all those
100 degree plus days that about killed off a lot
of folks' plants.

still getting a lot of yard long beans every day, and
there are a lot of blossoms yet on my mater vines.
not much interesting to post about :tango_face_smile:

#8 ·
By the grace of God this has been one of the best years I have had in near a decade.
Hot and humid with a lot of rain.
Corn , while germination in the South garden was disappointing is doing real , real well; both sweet and field corn.
Potatoes look great and I am glad I had some spots where none came up as I will have more than I can use.
Onions, in same spot as last year where they were a total failure second best I have ever had; tomatoes , last year some thing gave them dark spots on near all tomatoes, this year one plant had that so I ripped it out and the other are again best in years.
I put them in two rows rather than blocks and that has made accessing and keeping vines under control much easier.
Carrots I thought would not show, have and look real good, while chiles are thriving.
My roses which did so poorly last year, including new ones purchased from Burgess, after planting free replacement from Burgess that I wondered about, are now doing real well with little disease problems.
One left from last year I though was dead, suddenly sent out shoots and is doing well.
My one volunteer tomatillo I did not pull is doing good but getting to darn tall so I have to keep staking it up as they do not have strong stems.
Only thing I am wonder about is the broccoli, growing but is spindly.

#10 · (Edited)
I tried the straw bales this year and I have some beautiful tomato and pepper plants, but alas, no tomatoes or peppers.
My wife didn't want those ugly things in the middle of the yard, so they went where there was too much shade.
maybe 1.5 hours of sun a day and that don't work. both the tomatoes and peppers never got bigger than a golf ball and had blossom end rot. Oh well.

#11 ·
Our garden was a mixed bag of success and failure. Never had much luck growing corn in west Texas but decided to give it a shot here in the hill country in central Texas and ahd it did really good. Tomatoes were a total flop. Never had a problem with them before and always had more than we could than eat until this year. Pinto beans were middlin but the blackeye peas have done good. Tried okra but both times it fizzled and wouldn't get up more than about 6 inches, thinking like Ranger99 mentioned the weather probably didn't help with the okra and possibly the pintos. Banana peppers and jalapenos were a dud, picked a whopping 3 jalapenos and 8 or 9 banana peppers.

#12 ·
First of all I really need to apologize. I was the moderator who disappeared and quit posting. What happened was that there was an update on the site and when I tried to get back on I couldn’t. I sent notes to the admin several times and never got a response...I couldn’t figure out why and finally just gave up. What I did not think of was that our e-mail had a change so even when the admin responded I was not getting the messages. I can’t believe I never connected the dots. The same thing was going on with several other sites that I was a member of so I just gate up on all of them. Anyway, now all this time later I thought I would try again as I really enjoyed the GB website, and when I tried to re-register I was told what e-mail the response was sent to and I saw that it was an old one. So now I am back on site.

Anyway, I just wanted to explain what happened.

Longwinters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.