Graybeard Outdoors banner

Tame jalapeños

662 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wtxbadger 
#1 ·
Well I’ve been looking for “tame jalapeños “ and finally found them (seeds). In the Totally Tomatoes catalog. I am a fan of many warm peppers but alas many in my family and friends are not...

Long

#2 ·
I didn't realise there was a specific variety. I thought you just took your chances. Now and then you get one that's not hot and sometimes you get one that sets you on fire has been my experience. I'm going to look into this as my wife likes the taste but can't eat very hot stuff anymore.

It's funny how things change with time. When we first met she could eat jalapinoes and I couldn't and now it's the exact opposite.

#3 ·
I can't eat heat like I used to, so I use crystal hot sauce for the pepper taste.
And I will be looking into these tame jalapenos, because I love the flavor.

#5 ·
i'll say from previous experience that not all your peppers from
a "tame" variety will be "tame"

i've grown some before that turned out to be way hotter than
regular run-of-the-mill jalepenos even though they were supposed
to be of a milder variety.

i think it depends on soil composition, PH, water, any fertilizer,
climate, etc. etc.

who knows ? mine may have cross pollinated with someone else's
from blocks over or something

#6 ·
Planted my wife's sweet cherry peppers to close to some habaneros in the garden several years ago and she wasn't a happy camper. Quite a few of the cherry peppers cross pollinated with the the habaneros and you never knew what you were going to get eating the cherry peppers.
From then on her cherry peppers got planted on the opposite end of the garden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.