Graybeard Outdoors banner

Spring is coming

704 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bugeye 
#1 ·
Spring is coming to the Ouachita's.

Started, the eggplant, peppers, tomato seeds last week, will start the cuc's, melons, and squash next week. The garlic, is up and doing well. It has been to wet to work the onion bed may not plant onions this year, getting late should have been in the ground a couple weeks ago.

The plum and peaches are just begining to bloom, and the apples are swelling. Grapes and Muscadines will bloom next month. Asparagus should be poking up later this month.

Ordered strawberries today will get them in the ground next week rain permiting.

Here are couple pics

Hope you guys have great gardening success this year.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe a month from now I will be able to put the potatoes in the ground.
Most snow is already gone but nights now are steady for being in the twenties.

Odd to think forty years ago I was actually tilling the garden by this time of year and had it mostly planted by the second week in April.
Dad thought I was nuts but the warm weather held and we were eating home grown sweet corn by the 4th of July.
A rare occurrence up here .

#3 ·
Wow I am jealous. Woke up this morning to an inch of heavy snow, though its melted now, and the ground is still froze. I am figuring on starting my tomatoes and peppers in another week or so, in the basement. Planting still 6-8 weeks away outside except maybe onions. Enjoy your early season.

Long

#6 ·
Daffodils will bloom soon on south facing exposures, lawns are greening up.
We had a dandy of a blizzard April 7 in 73, looks like we may escape that this year, still too early
to trust till the ground gets warm, late April at the earliest.

#8 ·
Put out 1 bigboy, 4 rutgers, and 1 super sweet cherry tomato in 5-gallon buckets.

After buying everything, I figure that with an average crop, each tomato will cost me around $4 each.
But next year I'll already have the buckets and tomato cages. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.