Graybeard Outdoors banner

5” of snow and I don’t care

854 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Bob Riebe 
#1 ·
Well in our area we just got about 5” of heavy snow ☹ But I’m not waiting any longer to start my plants. 8 real tomatoe 🍅 plants and 2 cherry type (no I don’t consider them real tomatoes, just snackers lol). 16 pepper plants ranging from bell to bull horn to pablano to tame jalapeños. And then a couple cantaloupe. Everything else gets planted direct as soon as the ground warms up or Memorial weekend. This will include potatoes, onions, carrots, winter squash, green beans, zucchini and yellow squash. The asparagus, blueberries, red raspberries, black raspberries and strawberries are looking like they did ok over the winter. And I am hoping my grape vines take off.

#2 ·
Cool weather forecast after a few above average days in my part of Minn. but it looks like planting potatoes on May Day will not be a problem but I am wonder if the cooler than average weather is going to be the majority of days which means later corn and tomatoes.

#3 ·
Snow, including piles is all gone up here but last night they said South of my home town may get four to eight inches of snow.
Next week both gardens get tilled and potatoes go in the ground.
I finally found my corn packets I had been searching for way, way back in the freezer in a plastic bag.
May try putting corn in but I have dealt with seed rotting in the ground before and do not really want to waste time that way this year.

#4 ·
We are supposed to get 1-2 inches of snow this afternoon. My onions are planted but unless things drastically change nothing will be going into the ground early this year. We are starting to wonder if we are going to go from winter to summer because we really have not had any spring

#5 ·
Both of my vegetable gardens are ninety percent done now, need a few chiles , some lettuce up North; down South, I have so many new potatoes that need planting I will have to put in another 30 to 40 hills including the Allied Potato one I sent off for , maybe some rutabega, and some onions.
Here are what my gardens consist of now:

North
Potatoes: -- Butterfly, Island Sunshine, Purple Peruvian, Harvest Moon, Lilly, Peruvian Sunshine
Corn: -- Sunny Days, Aunt Mary sweet
Tomatoes: -- Old German, Husky Cherry, Grape (Tammi C), 4 -Green Zebra, Abe Lincoln, Big Beef, Pineapple, Orange Oxheart
Beans: -- Purple Wax, Cherokee Wax
Carrots: -- Griff, Puta Asita Black, Lobernicher Yellow
Red Mustard, Long Scarlet Cincinatti radishes, snap peas and a mix of red, white, yellow onion sets and plants.

South
Potatoes: -- Gourmetessa, All Blue, White Giant, Dakota Pearl and a mix of carry overs from last year.
Corn:--- Buhl, Golden Early sweet
Hickory Cane, Snowbird Mountan, Moseby Prolific, Eureka, King Philip dent and flint corn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.