Graybeard Outdoors banner

Wow are things behind here this year

646 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  longwinters 
#1 ·
Are year ago this past weekend I was digging potatoes, eating jalapeño peppers and bell peppers and also picking green beans. This year my potatoes have not blossomed yet, and I only have blossoms on the green beans and the peppers. So we are over one month behind last year. It is surprising with the Coldspring can do

#3 ·
I am supposing the U.P. is a lot like the North Shore in Minn.
Where growing tomatoes is a true crap shoot, and the weather
is a world apart from the rest of Minn. and and you do not ever set up a routine as the weather will pee all over it often.
One of my late cousins lived up at Finland.

At that , my potatoes are truly different from ANY other year.

Some rows, same variety of potato, planted same day, some are just popping out of the mulch and others are setting blooms.
Second year in a row though where I could plant potatoes weeks later than normal. Usually you plant them that late in Minn. and the ground is too warm so they just rot in the ground or you get a pathetic little thing with one or two small potatoes.

#4 ·
Well I checked my red potatoes to see if I could steal a few. I was surprised that even though most of the plants have not flowered I did have some potatoes...SCORE!!! The green beans are now just getting a few of the small stringy beans so in a few days will have 1st picking. Overall I need 2 more good months. But end of Sept is the end of gardening up here.
Long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.