Graybeard Outdoors banner

Yield

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  longwinters 
#1 ·
Typically what would you say as your yield in quarts of tomato per plant. For instance, I have nine tomato plants and so far I have put up 25 quarts of tomatoes. I am guessing that I will get at least another 25 to 30 quarts. Now this is stewed tomatoes not tomato juice sauce etc.

Long

#2 ·
I do not can tomatoes but make frozen chilli base.
Each pack is apporx. a pint jar and we make about a dozen or so a year plus use fresh at least that amount, while eating or giving away at least half bushel of tomatoes.
Used to keep late season tomatoes in the basement wrapped in newspaper which would fill a bushel basket although I split it into two one half-bushel baskets, and these are real woven baskets.
Just guessing at size of large wide mouth canning jars I have and size of tomatoes on vines right now the best plant would easily do four or five and the worst two.
I have two cherry tomato plants and even with their small size I could do two each right now.
I do not like cherry tomatoes but the other half does and she is not eating them fast enough.

#3 ·
i'm glad to hear yall have done well with
your gardening, maters in particular.

overall i've done poorly. i sure miss maters
fresh off the vine

#5 ·
I would say that is less than my average from year to year. I typically plant Parks Whoppers. Staked on 5’ above grade posts. Put red plastic down to help keep ground warmer and according to several universities provides a light spectrum that tomatoes like. I water and fertilize thru 2lt pop bottles which are planted in the same hole as the plant like a funnel.

Long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.