Graybeard Outdoors banner

Getting more out of your garden space

437 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bob Riebe 
#1 ·
I have a relatively small backyard which has six raised beds and some grow boxes. I have been looking at using my space more efficiently to get more produce. I am thinking that in the raised beds where I plant my tomatoes that I can put them over a little bit more to one side and plant Green beans etc. on the other side. I could do the same with onions as well or even carrots. Are any of you trying to get more out of the space that you have?

#2 ·
How much space.
I learned the hard way , before I checked it in a gardening site, vegetable do not like to be crowed, especially onion.
Now Green Beans should be no problem but as happened to me with squash vining plants, like to grow on other plants which does the plant they are grown on no good.
I,beyond veggies fighting each other , a couple of years ago I let my squash grown on my Bridal Vail hedge; well they totally screwed up the hedge bending over parts of it that did NOT spring back when removed so now I have big ugly gaps in a hedge that took years to grow into the desired shape.

I have a booklet on companion planting that say unless you are really short of space it is not a good idea as if two things are planted together , as in the much ballyhood three-sisters deal, only one benefits and others suffer.
I tried planting my sweet corn one year with very close spacing, 2 inches, I had a fertile ground and I ended up with the tallest grass looking corn with almost no cobs.:tango_face_crying:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.