Finally Joined the FA Club! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Default Finally Joined the FA Club!

I recognize a few of the forum members here. I've been lurking quite a bit but not posting. Especially here in the FA forum. But, now that I've got one.... howdy!

I've wanted one for years and finally got one. I bought it online from a Cabela's in WA. It showed up at my FFL Christmas Eve. Early Premier Grade in Excellent condition. 1991 according to FA. No options other than the 45 Colt cylinder. Only a couple very slight cosmetic blems. I cleaned the copper out of the bore, the rest of the gun was clean as could be. I haven't wrung it out at the range yet. I'm thinking I'll send to back to FA for the new firing pin/bushing upgrade, action job, and a good once over, maybe have all the springs replaced just cuz. I got this one the day they put it up for sale. I'd been looking and this was a killer deal. I got lucky. Premier grade at Field grade price, not counting the extra cylinder.

Here are some crappy pics. But hey, they're pics of my own FA 454 rather than someone else's!! WHOOHOO!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 PM

That's a beauty there!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Congrats! That's a real beauty.

I've only shot the large frame once, setup just like yours. Was amazed at how well it handled with factory .454 ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Say hello to my little friend!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 PM

Outstanding!
I would suggest the FA firing pin upgrade.
The older version can't be user fixed.
You will have to pay for it, as the lifetime warranty only applies the the original buyer.
LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Yup, I got such a good deal on this gun it's goin back to FA for firing pin, action job and a once over. Even after paying for the upgrades and shipping from here in Alaska I'm still in the gun for half the price of a new one. I need to shoot it some first though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM

For a plink'n load in a .454 case. Try 9.0gn of Unique behind a 255gn plated SWC bullet, firm crimp and SP primer is fine.
High end loads-H110/WW296(same powder)is your best bet with SR primers and HVY crimp.
I run 30.0gn H110 with w/Sierra 300gn SP.
LG

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

I've been casting and loading for 454 and 45 Colt for several years. 10gr Unique under 255gr Lee rnfp is a pussycat. I used to use H110 under a 355gr wfn LBT I cast but it can be picky in the cold here in Alaska so I went to LilGun. But, there has been all the talk about LilGun ruining FA barrels. One school of thought is that the problem with it and FA’s has to do with light boolits pushed hard. Peak pressure can occur at point where the base of the boolit crosses the cylinder gap and creates quite a “blow torch” effect at the gap and forcing cone. With a heavier boolit, peak pressure is achieved before that. Then again one reads the FA did tests and LilGun gets the barrel too hot with any load. Anyway, I’ve found that in my Rugers and 454 levergun shooting heavy 45 Colt or 454, I get the same velocity with about 2 gr less LilGun than H110. But, I think I'll go back to H110 for the FA. Or, I could stick with my trusty LilGun loads, shoot out the forcing cone on this one and then rebarrel it with Octagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
For a plink'n load in a .454 case. Try 9.0gn of Unique behind a 255gn plated SWC bullet, firm crimp and SP primer is fine.
High end loads-H110/WW296(same powder)is your best bet with SR primers and HVY crimp.
I run 30.0gn H110 with w/Sierra 300gn SP.
LG
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Gas cut'n will kill the barrel's throat/leade.
FA's are made from 17-4 SS. Not much 'tuffer' out there.
H110/WW296 is not temp sensitive like little gun is.
LG

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
...H110/WW296 is not temp sensitive like little gun is.
LG
Our findings here in Alaska show the opposite to be true. Cold soaked ammo loaded with H110 don't always go bang even with Mag primers. LilGun lights up though. H110 loads show a drop in velocity and larger ES when they do go bang. My understanding is the higher Nitro content in H110 makes the difference, but is also what causes "excessive" heat according to FA's tests.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page