Express Sights Question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Express Sights Question

On a 83 or 97 what is the advantage of the Express sights over the standard adjustable sights ?
I donít hunt just target shoot.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:15 PM

I thought the purpose of express sights was faster target acquisition for big game hunting , since it's a wide V and round ball front vs the traditional square notch rear and post front.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 PM

For target work-Stay with the standard sights.
That said-I did have a front sight made by this man with a gold bead at the top(see the 2nd picture in link).
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/gunpictures.html
LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
For target work-Stay with the standard sights.
That said-I did have a front sight made by this man with a gold bead at the top(see the 2nd picture in link).
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/gunpictures.html
LG
Thanks Lumpy . Yes just want a .44 Special for target work and because Iím a big Special fan .
Thereís two on GA for sale . A 5 1/2Ē with Express sights and a 4 1/4Ē with regular adjustable sights .
Iíve never handled or shot a 97 with the 4 1/4Ē barrel. Can anyone here who has share their opinions ?
These guns ainít cheap so I want to buy right the first time.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 AM

My .454 has a 4 3/4'' bbl and love it.
It's my bear country gun, along with my Mossberg 12ga pump.
Bought the gun in '97. Had the FP upgrade done a few yrs ago.
Are you sure that isn't a 4 3/4" bbl'd gun you're look'n at?
LG

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Hi Nick,

I can relate to the desire to make the right choice, the first time with any of these high dollar, sight unseen purchases. I was in a similar quandary with my two Model 97's.

I have a 6.25 inch 41 Mag and a 6.0 inch 22LR. Based on the bore similarity, my 41 would weigh close to the same as a 44 given equal barrel lengths. I will share a couple of my thoughts.

First, the accuracy capability of these guns is better than any of us can shoot with iron sights, so I would lean towards a longer barrel, especially for target shooting. That increased sight radius helps me quite a bit when it comes to shooting with irons. I am not a short barrel guy anyway so no big deal. I just can't see paying for all that accuracy potential, but handicapping yourself with a snub barrel, but that my personal preference.

FA's have more to like than raw accuracy potential, so I could see someone wanting a 4" as a carry/backup simply because the build quality of these guns is supremely good. For my build, the 5.5 barrel just didn't look right to me with the length of the ejector housing, which is why I was OK going a little longer. I didn't want some ridiculously long 10" silhouette gun, nor did I want a snub nose. Mine would be used for target shooting and I also want it to cover hunting applications if I wanted to do that as well. I honestly think that a 6.5 barrel would be my ideal because it looks right to me and feels right in hand and complements the weight of the frame well as far as balance. Long story short, I'd choose the standard length 5.5 over the 4" length any day of the week if thats your two options..

Secondly, I'd avoid the express sights on a target gun as well. They aren't meant for that and now isn't the time to make compromises. I'd stick with standard sights for a crisp sight picture and then look into upgraded sights from Clements, etc if you are still unhappy.

I really like the 6.25 length of my 41Mag, and would have liked to get a longer barrel on my 6.0 inch 22LR, but with the small bore, I didn't want the gun too get to heavy, but at the range last week, another inch of barrel would have made aiming easier in all honesty.

Check out Cove Creek Outfitters in PA. They have several in stock, and have special ordered for me on numerous occasions. My wants are so specific, I find that's the easiest way to get what I want, the first time.

Good Luck choosing..Sorry the last pic is upside down for some reason , it's not that way on. My phone?!?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Inspector-Callahan; 12-27-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
My .454 has a 4 3/4'' bbl and love it.
It's my bear country gun, along with my Mossberg 12ga pump.
Bought the gun in '97. Had the FP upgrade done a few yrs ago.
Are you sure that isn't a 4 3/4" bbl'd gun you're look'n at?
LG
Yes itís 4 1/4Ē . Thatís a standard length for a 97 .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Inspector for the detailed reply.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Yes itís 4 1/4Ē . Thatís a standard length for a 97 .
OK-97, got it.
You'll love that setup......
I load 6.5gn of Unique under a 240gn lead bullet with a firm roll crimp.
Have found it to be a sweet shoot'n plink'n load.
LG

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:45 PM
RJM

You can't go wrong with any of the 97s...

I have three centerfires:
4.25" .41 Magnum with round butt
5.5" .41 Magnum with square butt
6.5" .327 Federal with square butt

The 4.25" is the most difficult to shoot...just takes a lot of concentration on the trigger. It is however a joy to carry. If you plan on carrying the gun a lot and most shooting is under 25 yards it is a great gun... A friend has the same gun in .44 Special with a square butt and he loves it...

The 5.5" isn't real muzzle heave but does have a slight muzzle forward balance than the 4.25". Is a great all-around gun. Since it goes in the same Simply Rugged holster as the 4.25" there really isn't a lot of difference in carryability... The extra sight radius helps making long range shots out past 50 yards...

If you don't plan on carrying the gun much a 6-7.5" barrel makes a nice range and long range gun... Was just shooting the .327 two days ago and a 6" steel target at 50 yards from the seated backrest position was 6/6..

I don't care for the V notch rear blade. One came on the 4.25" along with a brass bead front sight...was very hard to keep from vertical stringing... Put one of the standard square notch rear blades in and it works with the brass bead, FO bead, standard ramp or the Patridge style sight that Kevin O'Neil sells...really love his sights.

Watch GunBroker for used guns...a few weeks ago there were a TON of bargain priced guns...

Bob

Last edited by RJM; 12-30-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page