Has anyone tried Rounded Grip on Rev? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Default Has anyone tried Rounded Grip on Rev?

Hi. Thinking about getting this on 454 with 7.5 m83. Just looking for user experience, on any bbl length too. thanks! j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 PM

W/7.5" bbl-Can't see the benefit.
Short bbl-depends on your hand size.
Try-before you buy.
LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Dee

I've had round butt revolvers before on Smith's. Big hands, and ended up puttin T-Grips on'em.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for thoughts, I had one Rounded on a 3 inch Packer many years ago, no ERH on gun (never a problem with that on this sort of a specialty rig kept in front of heavy velcro vest, while fishing in bear country).

Anyway, this Rounded Butt worked out Extremely well for my hand but it does have an extra short bbl. Noticed for me, with heavy recoil (which dont do alot of now), gun slipped just perfect (or right amount) in my hand. Course different loads & powders can change recoil too.

Was just curious if any experience with longer bbls, any length yet under 5 inch may be best? But curious about 6inch & 7.5 bbls too? Yet light to moderate recoil too.... existing grips work very well most times am thinking, on m83.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 PM

I have never handled a FA round butt.
My 4 3/4" FA .454 was made long before they came out.
No one in my AO has any FA's
LG

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey, for sure, yeah dont see FAs around here often, there are 2 used for sale right now for couple months;

7.5 PG ($1900) 1 box fired, then 6.0 FG winewood w/ dual cyl's never fired ($1950) mint. Got mine a long time ago too.

If I bought either, was considering having grip rounded either here or in WY. Less expensive here plus already want a cyl added to a different existing gun, this would be done in WY.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM

You do know the lifetime warranty is only to the original buyer.
Make sure any FA you look at has the updated replaceable firing pin.
LG

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Very Good point, if used gun, even PG becomes an FG minus 1 yr, in that regard.

Sold & bought a few over years and really enjoy the SAs. Would love any helpful info that I should be aware of in regards to normal use, have only made 1 bonehead mechanical mistake when alot younger but it wasn't critical on scoped rig, but avoidable. Try to avoid those too.

Noticed FA folks have always been good to deal with, they work like partners which is how I like to conduct too. But shipping is unreasonable these days due to nat. politics so avoid unfair practices & expense.

Still own a used FG non-Updated pin, that FA went over gun for me a long time ago where incurred some extra expense. Are there any known issues with those parts mentioned?

Does appear total dissasembly would be required to replace so see why drilling & threading performed, for updating. Then, especially if potential issue exsts tho doesnt seem like there should be one, but anything can happen of course.

Brings to mind I should at least become enuf of a smith to address any non-machining issues, now that have a wee bit more time.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
You do know the lifetime warranty is only to the original buyer.
Make sure any FA you look at has the updated replaceable firing pin.
LG
Decided against both of these at prices listed, even if prices were lower. Have been considering for my 3 young men someday, ladies too in 97. Will see how interested they become in SAs first, over time.

If I were someone who didnt have this already and did not want to wait & then for price break too(somewhat), then would have already secured one of these fine revolvers and shipped it off to WY, or dropped it off like I did below.... but really on above, we are looking at close to same price as a new one with a warranty, when considering shipping plus potential possibles.

Appreciate your thoughts FOR SURE. Very very Helpful!! 😃

Have only bought 1 of these used, and it so happened the FG 454 cal. turned out absolutely perfect for me and was in appropriate price range. Plus, ended up already in WY backcountry fishing at time, where convenient to take in which enjoyed. BEST. SQUINT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

LG, yup got to thinkin, some dry fire not using snap caps!!! Good advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page