Secret sauce for loading cast bullets for Freedom Arms revolvers - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Put a .40 bore mop in your drill motor and use some Turtle Wax polishing compound.
Toothpaste works also......
LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 PM
DHD

What LG said or I use a worn bore brush with a patch coated in Flitz or any of the fine polishes. I do this after I get the ID where I want it. I highly doubt the tiny bit of extra metal removed will be noticed. While I get a nice smooth surface, I'm not trying for a mirror finish as I won't be able to see myself in it anyway....

As mentioned earlier, I PC my bullets and don't want to scratch the plastic after it's cured. It's been working nicely for a few years and will probably out last the rest of my shooting career.

FWIW, I use my cordless drill for all of this. Wish I had a lathe.

I just re-read your post. When I use a dremel on an ID polish or grind, mine tends to either bind or jump when it gets under a strain. I use an oak dowel split (cut actually) in the middle and automotive sand paper slid into the groove in my cordless drill on high speed. I start with 400 and end at 1000 grit. I run the paper wet with a wd40 type of lubricant.

Keep 10-15 fat bullets ready and check your progress with them. I don't reuse them while measuring. Also use a good micrometer, not a caliper. It is easy and doesn't take too long. You can't put it back in if you remove too much. After you get where you want to be, then size those bullets you've already sized earlier.

Last edited by DHD; 10-10-2019 at 11:56 PM.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Opened up a Lee a .356 sizing/swaging die as you guys advised. The bullet that comes out now measures .35710" to .35715", so it's pretty close to perfectly round and it fits nice and snug in my throats without being tight. I'm looking forward to trying them and see what accuracy they'll get.

Thanks for the advice.

Ps. I can already see myself doing the same for all my other guns ...

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat

Last edited by Apuesto; 10-13-2019 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 PM

Looking forward to a range report.
LG

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:08 PM
DHD

What was your load again? I suspect you'll find just about anything will shoot great (cast bullets that is). My 357's are big guns with lots of metal in their cylinders so I tend to load them warm if not hot. To a certain degree, the warmer the better they shoot. With the FA83, the only limiting factor is brass capacity.

Since you've got your sizer done, find some LFN style bullets (Cast Performance?) and try them. Stay towards the heavier side. Since I cast my own, I'm spoiled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page