Model 555 Packer 50ae from 1990s - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Default Model 555 Packer 50ae from 1990s

Bought 50 new and the 'short bbl' length has dis-suaded me from more juice and bullet weight, regarding the 500we cylinder thats now available. Though still very interested in the 500we, in fact, there is a used 7.5 bbl PG nearby (which would be great) that I could get at a reasonable price. But am looking specifically to order another FA 45 caliber regarding some other things that have in mind, for right now. BTW, I passed on a new 454 Packer when working in Montana many years ago, they wanted a $grand more, even then.

Interesting, the 50ae Packer drew blood the 1st time I shot it. Attributing in-part to the seemingly 'quick' recoiling 325g 'factory' ammo designed for the desert eagle, on a very cold winter morning - but really everything being not ideal on my part 20 years ago.

Therefore, this gun both forced and helped me to approach all big bore and magnum guns differently; with personal reloads, stance & finger position, muscle relaxation, breathing and gripping method.

Regarding slower powders now used .... really think these have help me a great deal, in terms of stout loads being more manageable. The easiest handling, in this case being a .50ae big & accurate load (for my 'testing' use), turned out to be a 400g Sierra over about 99.9% used capacity with w296. With the 'aid' of Quickload ... also experimented successfully with a slow Norma powder but cannot recommend.

I do want to try 4227 sometime regarding another full case load. Have had a lot of fun with caliber and am fine to shoot this revolver plus someday will even try reduced loads in regards to volume shooting, as needed.

Have gone up to a much much heavier resized bullet (successfully) in this .50ae revolver but cannot recommend that either, especially in a cartridge that primarily headspaces from its case mouth, even though a tapered body.

IMO, a bullet that big and heavy is not ideal in a packable pistol though a rimmed case and 'heavy roll' crimp would be much more suitable for sure.

Squint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 PM

Squint,
Might be able run the 400 grain bullets in a lighter load 500we for the 50ae packer. I chose not to go with lighter bullets in my 500we 7 1/2Ē barreled gun, because the 440 through that barrel length were both accurate and recoil manageable. I didnít think it feasible to have the same caliber with two different loads for each gun.
My go to caliber to this day is still 454 casull, mainly because I idolize the man behind the caliber. Donít have any packers in 454, but I do have a deputy Marshall (predator to the packer 3Ē barrel).
Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

For sure, for someone who likes heavy bullets at any velocity, i think the step up diameter from my standard .475, 406g loads to the belted 500we makes the 500 ideal for 440g 'plus' bullets and would want to use it for that!

The roll crimp is also better for bear defense mitigating bullet creep (regarding cylinder lockup) in the field. Its why, so far, thst I primarily use the 475 with its rim, for crimping purposes. Along with a tight neck when it comes to fishing in bear country or if I need to drop a deer where it stands, to avoid a cliff scramble.

Yes, my goto caliber 'overall' will always be the FA 454 Casull as well, such a wonderful & flexible caliber that am extremely grateful (as well) to the engineer who pioneered it! Can do so many things with this caliber, plenty of headroom power when needed or wanted. Neat History too!

Last edited by squint; 01-30-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr454 View Post
Don’t have any packers in 454, but I do have a deputy Marshall (predator to the packer 3” barrel).
Steve
Steve, the 'deputy marshall' presentation is gorgeous. Was just looking at one, quite the revolver!

Squint
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 PM

Squint,

Did you see the Marshal centennial?
Had one of those once, mine was serial 77.
The deputy marshal I have isnít as fancy as the marshal. I will post a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	973C8DA2-C38C-41C9-BE63-870E3C8CC8EF.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	241332  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejr454 View Post
Squint,

Did you see the Marshal centennial?
Had one of those once, mine was serial 77.
The deputy marshal I have isn’t as fancy as the marshal. I will post a picture of it.
Look great Steve! Yes, viewed centennial as well. Squint
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:38 PM
RJM

I have resisted the temptation to get a SA in anything heavier that .41 Magnum... I can run 300 grain bullets at 1250 fps which will take care of any business I need to take care of... Had a 6" .454 and .475 but just didn't care for the recoil...

Also have a 500 S&W 4" that I have no problem shooting with up to 400 grain loads. Have been fighting the urge to buy one of the BFRs in .500 JRH since all I would need is some brass....

...if you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Bob:

That would be serious 41 bone breaking penetration! I also have on hand 300g, 41 beartooth that have never tried, it is .915 length, would be a bit too heavy & long for my ruger Bisley IMO! but would love to work up something in a m83 someday.

Though cannot recommend and ABSOLUTELY no experience here, yet would be very curious to do more 'm83' research with something like 9.25 grains of HS6 in six6 inch barrel. .... THEN 9.75 grains of HS6 in 4.75 inch bbl, both seated at lowest cannelure from nose, seated about .501 inch deep, at my press.

This 300g load could be about 1000fps where case fill approximated near 50%. JUST STRICTLY A SPECULATIVE LOAD however!!!! ...that have had in mind.

FA m83 nicest handling balanced SA have ever used personally, where heavier recoil seems to roll nicely with custom loads. Have always wanted a 41mag, m83.

I can say with certainty that the 500s&w in BFR 'long' is NOT at all fun with fullhouse & heavy bullet Corbon loads, spraining an elbow & wrist would be easy to do.

Squint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page