Good time for Projects!! - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Speaking of projects, yesterday finally got this one off the ground after starting on it, almost a year ago.

Decided on 4.75 inch with extra 45 Colt cylinder. I like the Rosewood grip panels on Silver finish. Very happy with this gun for sure, 45 Colt light cowboy loads from a bench will work dandy too.

But plan to deer hunt with 454 cylinder in this shorter barreled gun.

Thanks for looking & happy shooting!

Attachment 243950
Quick question from a newbie to the 454 casull. I was told that you could shoot a 45 Long Colt through a 454 cylinder. Is this not the case?

If it is the case, can you explain the reason for two cylinders.

Chris

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 PM

Yes, you can fire .45 Colt from a .454 chamber.
But, why not just buy .454 brass from Starline and load lighter loads?
Try 9.0gn of Unique with a 255gn LSWC bullet.
Gary

Hav'n you along, is like lose'n two good men......
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Gary,

Great load! ...ended up trying the softer core and thin plated bullets as you suggested, my setup was at 9.3g Unique but last outing instead used a 7.5inch bbl scoped m83 for this session. Most downrange tests were touching or very close and then there was some very good overlapping as well, only a few flyers this session - probably the shooter.

Estimate approx. 1075fps with about 8.3 inches of bullet travel from this gun using the longer bbl, only about 8 lbs or less recoil!! Good 'case' seal in the matching 454 chamber too, which agree is best.

Will work up 454 starline-case 'target' loads for newest shorter gun too. But FIRST will try some hollowbase plated bullets in my 45colt cylinder. Have very high hopes for this project as well, especially for accuracy. Could be ideal bore seal at low velocity which I am hoping will help a great deal, for consistent tight groups?

USA774,

On my particulars, as for why I went ahead and got the extra 45 Colt cylinder on above gun, this go around....

Besides really enjoying testing for just about any 45 calber 'accurate' loads which is my usual priority during off-season ~ tho like other calibers alot too .... yet during the long 3-4 month hunting season have much less time to put together target loads when handloading. The 'factory' 45Colt ammo becomes a really nice option, when needed.

So my experience has been that light recoiling 'factory' 45 colt ammo has been consistently very accurate in a matching Colt chamber rather than in the longer 454 chamber yet can still use same gun when hunting with 454 loads, just swap the cylinders which is still convenient.

These lighter rounds normally shoot at a different POI but am just shooting for tight groups ~ where my actual zero is for the 454 hunting loads, that is, for during the season anyway.

For hunting, I usually like 'heavier bullet' handloads at lower velocity or sometimes Hornady 454 300g xtpmag 'factory'(as needed, perhaps for big bear areas and really for elk hunting too ~ however, those high velocity Hornady factory rounds are not 'heavy use' target rounds, for me anyway, yet enjoy shooting those too).

Happy shooting! Squint

Last edited by squint; 05-21-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 PM

Hold the charge to 9.0gn Unique. Those flyers will disappear.
Use a firm roll crimp and a std small pistol primer.
Gary

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
Hold the charge to 9.0gn Unique. Those flyers will disappear.
Use a firm roll crimp and a std small pistol primer.
Gary
Gary, ...think am with ya on that ~ as long as get good seal from enough pressure and crimp plus where gun already likes this load along with better chamber and primer match ~ then holding charge down to 9.0g could provide for 'just enough' more of a consistent burn % before bullet exits. VERY GOOD, will try that on next 454 UNIQUE test.

Plus, the 454 full length sizing helps for a nice tight neck, avoiding over crimp on softer target bullet. I like it.

Last edited by squint; 05-24-2020 at 07:53 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:01 PM

I use a LEE Factory Crimp Die
Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page