Good time for Projects!! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

While have been thinking about a fixed sight model 97 'round butt 44spl' for a truly 'classic' combo among other guns, ALSO got to thinking about some projects for my existing adjustable sight guns. A very good time for projects, no doubt!!

Specifically for me, different kinds of front sights, brass bead, hi-vis, and specialty sights ....and then maybe different heights for non-typical handloads had always wanted to experiment with but didn't, due to just old normal routine.

Need to order an extra Firing Pin assembly. As well as both an extra Square & Express 'rear' assembly for other experiments.

FA snapcaps work well for most any kind of revolver and are excellent BTW, for indoor practice since alot of ranges being closed right now. Need to order some other things, extra screws, springs, a few wrenches & more snap caps.

I have been using Leupold scope mounts but have always wanted to experiment with other kinds that Freedom kept in stock.
Need a crimp die for another project plus want to try another holster.
Deciding when on a few extra cylinders and will as soon as I can.

Fun projects coming up here.

Last edited by squint; 04-15-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of projects, yesterday finally got this one off the ground after starting on it, almost a year ago.

Decided on 4.75 inch with extra 45 Colt cylinder. I like the Rosewood grip panels on Silver finish. Very happy with this gun for sure, 45 Colt light cowboy loads from a bench will work dandy too.

But plan to deer hunt with 454 cylinder in this shorter barreled gun.

Thanks for looking & happy shooting!

Good time for Projects!!-screenshot_2020-04-17-13-37-48_1587246585491.png
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 PM
RJM

...nice...

Have been enjoying .32s for a while but never could warm up to them until the .327 was introduced... Found a deal on a 97/6.5" and ended up adding quite a few .327s and .32 H&Rs to that initial purchase. A few weeks ago I bought a Colt New Frontier in .357 Magnum with some thought to having a custom .327 made up...

But after looking at the .32s and the cost of the conversion decided to sell off all the .32 H&R Mags and the NF and buy another FA 97 with a short barrel and live happily ever after....

Three out of the four guns have now sold and have inquiries on the last...as soon as the checks get here will make the final decision on whether to order a gun or buy one of the ones that are all ready out there for sale...

So that is my FA project for the day....

Bob

...if you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

...interesting on 32 & 327 projects! Like idea of that cool caliber in 97. On my list for certain, thinking 5.5 inch'ish at this point in time but that could change.

Thanks on 454 - attached is more of a dress up ''Ready for 4th of July, Go-To-Meetin'' image that working on. You can tell I am already thinkin about summer. Lol. Last weekend finished off some old Herco loads that were not my favorite, but sure had fun! Will load up some 4227 loads tonite or tomorrow night I think but always trying different things.

Speaking of warmer months, a friend called this morning hoping to secure a biology project/study coming up, thru his work maybe in Fall or earlier. The idea is to head to Greys River or Salt River range areas, perhaps another range nearby - as this is another hobby of mine .... that we have both worked on over the years, in that general region before. Normally a ways further North.

May drop off another FA though dont mind shipping if needed, but since there...

Thinking another extra 45 cylinder on a different gun for factory target use yet will still hunt deer with the 454 at probably 44 mag low to high end velocites depending on bullet weight, in both scoped and short bbl guns. Can use heavier bullets with 454 more easily than 44mag, for me handloading for hunting offers about 15 to 25 lbs of recoil or less (if needed) instead of near 38lb's at max 454 factory loads, which am still fine to use and do enjoy it.

Lets see, have a few extra alluminum rear sight bases, so experimenting with finish on underside of one them, with stuff I have around here. Waiting on mail, for some FA items already ordered.

Good time for Projects!!-2020-04-21-14_1587679160743.55.56.jpg
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:06 PM

Question

My project is a new to me Field Grade 83. I cobbled together a set of grips. I wonít use these for shooting full power loads as they might not take the recoil. I will use them with my mid range loads though and see how they do.

Note to self, if I ever do this again, put the ferules in before shaping the grips!

Pictures later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9BF5198-CB85-4EEF-A2A0-2CB21206E194.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	244254  

Name:	5C9DD62D-5EEF-4459-9C4B-0EFACFC37F24.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	244256  

Name:	B733AA19-9EC6-48FE-B0A6-F81553385368.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	244258  

Name:	C693B5CB-DC48-4B64-AC04-1A6C8BCA0E3B.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	244260  

Name:	FE25090D-BF63-4F93-AD50-B1C8B8C11C95.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	244262  

Last edited by bnewberry; 04-26-2020 at 06:10 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 07:22 PM
RJM

VERY NICE bnew....wish I had that kind of talent....

...if you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
VERY NICE bnew....wish I had that kind of talent....
Thanks! I learned quite a bit doing these. If I were to try another set, which I might someday, I have some ideas on how to do better.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

BNewberry, Great job! ~thanks for posting yet also appreciate the notes too. I ordered some hardware to go with building grip panels about a year ago. This is something else have been wanting to experiment with and will, though have never fashioned my own panels before. Worked with wood for 7 or 8 years many many moons ago, not saying that I am an artist at it. Also jave some extra various materials around that could be functional and nice, but I really enjoy wood too, as well as the various FA stock panels. Thanks for tips.

Have an extra rubber grip too, same as yours and gladly use it sometimes when fishing a few different places.

Squint
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Thanks! I will put this here to remind myself what I did and how to do better, starting with a flat board of appropriate size cut to an oversized blank.

1. Make sure the top and front edges that abut the frame form the right angle to ensure a good fit. Sand these surfaces smooth.
2. I didnít do this, but I would try making a stiff cutout pattern of the protrusions at the front of the frame that you have to cut reliefs for. Paste these onto the wood to guide these relief cuts.
3. After the relief cuts are done then fit the grip blanks in place and drill for the retention pin.
4. Secure the two halves together, carefully matching the edges etc. and drill for the ferule. Donít mount the ferule yet.
5. Scribe or mark the outline of the frame to mark final size. Cut off any excess wood but donít get too close to the line.
6. Fasten the grips together and begin shaping the grips, starting At the top where the most wood has to be removed. Take care not to dish out the center. Fit and test frequently!
7. Hand sand up to about 200 grit before sanding down to the scribed lines for final dimensions.
8. Oil or finish as desired.

This took me two days of off and on work, a bit each day. I would guess about 4 hours total. I used a Dremel, some knives, a 2x72 belt grinder with a couple of small wheels and a flat platen and various sand paper grits.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Great grip tips and will use!

Lets see, so far ordered a couple of heights in front brass bead sights to see better plus experiment with various loads and barrel lengths.

Some spare parts/springs too.

Working on new loads. Other things coming up I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page