hogs - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Default hogs

i was just perusing the small game regs., and noticed that "it is illegal to keep fenced feral hogs for hunting purposes" I have no notion of discussing the impact of feral hogs in wisconsin, but the terminology the dnr keeps coming up with really bothers me. isnt a hog that is fenced......livestock? just read about a fella in Michigan fighting for his farm. Plus he is being fined 10,000 per russian boar-700000$ he is raising. I think government has too much power when they tell us what kinds of livestock we are allowed to raise. or when we cant sell our farm fresh goods.-raw milk, meat, etc. the feral hog problem started and progressed to the point it is because of escaped-DOMESTIC- hogs. well documented. happened before big game farms were so prevalent. one who raises exotics (fenced farm animals) has got good money stuck into an investment. they are not going to want those animals escaping. the fella in MI, (or someone in the article) thinks that the big pork producers are involved somehow, as much of the "specialty" pork comes from even domestic speceis of hog that are considered "invasive". they bring more money, can be pasture raised for better quality, but are illegal in his state. Id like any thoughts on the rights/ farming aspect of this conversation. a hog is a hog. if you can raise one kind of pig in a state you should be able to raise ANY kind of pig in that state, until the state says you cant raise any pigs at all. then we got another problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:46 PM

I certainly agree with you about the raw milk.
Here in Ga the milk has to be labeled "not for human consumption."
And I love raw milk.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM

I live in wisconsin and am lincensed for captive wildlife.
Wild pigs are classified as non native invasive species.
You can get a captive wildlife permit for them but trust me, you dont want to go down that road....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM

In wisconsin, if you raise turkeys on your farm, you can behead them with an axe but if you shoot them with a .22; you have to have a turkey tag, regardless of color, or non native status...
Here is another fun fact, if you have a grey squirrel for a pet, you need a permit. If you have a fox squirrel, you dont because they are non native to wisconsin....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahad View Post
i was just perusing the small game regs., and noticed that "it is illegal to keep fenced feral hogs for hunting purposes". isnt a hog that is fenced......livestock? a hog is a hog. if you can raise one kind of pig in a state you should be able to raise ANY kind of pig in that state, until the state says you cant raise any pigs at all

I think the words that I made bold are the qualifiers here. Not considered livestock if you are raising/keeping them purely to release and hunt. The DNR suspects most all of the occasional small pockets of Wild Hogs in the state are intentionally let loose by someone intending to hunt them. There is only one small area in Crawford county where a self-sustaining population once existed. Even that one was thought to be intentionally released feral hogs from Texas. This is why the DNR is so set against them. Because of the diseases they carry, wild hogs are also a threat to commercial pork producers. As has been said, one could get the permits necessary to confine true wild hogs, but even then, it could not be with the intent to release and hunt them.

"where'd you get the gun....son?"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 PM

Bet the dairy farmer next door would be having a fit with an operation like that maybe in the entire county ,lose a pig lose a corn field . It goes downhiil fast from there ,thats why they"re hated by most land owners !
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Gun Cabinet

The hogs have got out of control in many states and I think Texas has a major problem with them we have them here in Oklahoma but not as bad as Texas.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in