Saturday opener? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Gun Cabinet

Season in Wisconsin opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving, I can't say it always has but it's been that way for the 50 years I've hunted. I see less hunters opening weekend then I did 30+ years ago but still a lot of hunters. On Monday you have the woods to yourself. You used to see orange dotting the landscape all week sun up till sundown, not anymore, our 9 day season is pretty much over in two days. Only the diehards (include me) hunt the full nine.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
I hated the antler restrictions the first few years, but we are definitely killing better bucks pretty regularly now. I find myself passing on bucks that would have been considered trophies before antler restrictions. Antlerless tags are pretty plentiful in most zones now, so a hunter can get meat if that's what he's after. I wouldn't have a problem with you old farts shooting scrub bucks if that's what you want.
Hey Neckisred! I kind of chuckled at the "old fart" comment. cant get angry when its true!

Fact is as you stated, doe tags are there, some guys, like you I guess, like horns. I dont have a problem with that, or the seniors being equal oppurtunity hunters either. Sounds like a good idea

Just for the FYI portion, this old man isnt bound by those pesky antler restrictions because he has a shoot from vehicle,(Pa calls it use a vehicle as a blind), but it doesnt mean I use it, or plan to use it for "scrub bucks" either. just saying.

Thought you might find it interesting that someone just might be glad for someone else...YES, have at it newbies on that Saturday opener.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Just a little misunderstanding. A lot is lost in text. I'm a meat hunter. Always have been, always will be. I take as many doe as I legally can in PA and those tags are $26.75 each for a non resident landowner such as myself. Having the opportunity to take a few doe for meat, gives me the opportunity to pass on smaller legal bucks that hopefully make it another season. If someone else takes a smaller buck that I have passed on, good for them.

I am fortunate enough to hunt every day of rifle season and all of muzzleloader season, so I can be selective. I'm far from being a horn hunter, but who doesn't like taking a nice buck? Never been one to criticize anyone for taking whatever deer they choose to take. Seeing young hunters and old guys take a deer is far more of a thrill than taking any deer myself.

The Saturday opener just means I leave for camp a day earlier. I hunt the Ohio/PA border, so I get the Saturday opener in PA and the Monday opener in Ohio. Win win for me and hopefully lots of youngsters and working folks who don't get much time off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM

No problems on my end, Neckisred, I understand,agree with, and respect your opinions. You are very right about things getting a little mixed up in the text. Another on the site suggested I use imogees to help get the intention across, and I think it helps a lot.

Thanks for the response, it is well recieved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page